Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PCF Programming Language Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
cyberdude1951
Posted : Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:24:51 AM

Are the programming commands used to create PCF's in TC2000 the same that all other trading software companies use? In other words, when I become proficient in using the TC2000 PCF language, will it be the same language that I can carry over to Metastock, Tradestation and others, or do these trading programs use a completely different language to code their own PCF's?

diceman
Posted : Sunday, October 9, 2016 12:23:26 PM

Each uses their own language/formats.

"StockFinder" would probably be closest in "style" to other vendors.

Thanks

Putt4Dough
Posted : Sunday, October 9, 2016 4:34:14 PM

PCFs are more of a formula language. The others you mentioned are more procedural languages (If-Then statements, looping, etc).

PCFs can be very powerful, and Bruce is a coding Ninja. If you plan on using TC2000 then PCFs are worth learning, though Bruce is always happy to help, so I'm not sure if you need to become "proficient". Just my opinion.

diceman is correct that StockFinder's language is closer to the languages other vendors use.

If you use or plan on using MetaStock, TradeStation, etc., in addition to or instead of TC2000, then PCFs won't help much. Again, just my opinion. There are a million resources for learning programming; not sure how many there are for learning programming of trading software. Sunny Harris wrote a pretty good book for programming TradeStation's EasyLanguage, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment.