Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

85-85 scan Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
bocajerry
Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 2:48:29 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Hi 

Can you give a scan for the following criteria?

1 85 plus EPS ratings ie. top 15% in relative rank in terms of their earnings growth

2 85 Relative Strength rating ie. top 15% by price momentum

3 15% of 52 week high

4 50 day average volume above 100000 shares

This is basically the IBD 85-85

thanks

jerry

BillÇochrane
Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 3:46:41 PM

1. TC2000 provides some EPS fundamental data. The data points most germane to your request (I think) are:

1. Earnings Growth Rate 5 Yr - The compound annual earnings per share 5-year growth rate. In looking for quality companies, well established companies of good size, this criterion is indispensable. The units are in percentages. IBD reports 3 Year EPS Growth Rate, so the period is different
  2. EPS Percent Change Latest Yr - The percentage change in earnings for the latest 4 quarters compared to the preceding 4 quarters.
  3. EPS Percent Change Latest Qtr - The percentage change in earnings per share from the comparable quarter a year before. This one corresponds (I think) to IBD's EPS Percent Change Latest Yr - The percentage change in earnings for the latest 4 quarters compared to the preceding 4 quarters.
The above are in decreasing length of time (5 yr, 1 yr, 1 qtr).  I believe IBDs EPS Rating includes some other factors. But, yes, we could construct a scan for any one of the above.

Example. I created an Easyscan for the Volume and .85% High criteria. In Edit Scan, I added EPS Percent Change Latest yr (#2 above) and selected Ranks, and then moved sliders to 85% and 100%

2. Relative Strength. While it is possbile to calculate IBD's RS in TC2000, we can't rank or compare the results (ie no 85% per centile). I seem to remember Bruce saying that the RS values calculated in TC2000 are similarly not comparable. The PMO indicator, which is not part of TC2000, but for which there is a PCF (search the forums) is rankable, however, which would give a 35 bar ranking of strength. Rate of Change % over whichever period you select would allow ranking. IBDs RS calculation weights movement over (three?) different time periods. (Question: could we do the same with a PCF using different ROC%'s? I don't know right now)

3. within 15 % of 52 week high
c>.85*MaxH250 would be pretty close. There is a Near New year High condition in TC2000, now set for 90%, just edit that to 85% and apply as Scan Condition

4. 50 day average volume above 100,000 shares
AVGV50>100000. Again, there is a AVGV20 PCF in TC2000, which I use all the time, but you could edit it to use 50 days . I suspect it wouldn't make a material difference

When I apply to Russell 1000, I'm left with 26 items in Watchlist, 7 of which have a positive PMO. FSLR heads the list ( I used EPS criteria #2 only, not 1 or 3)
bocajerry
Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 2:51:11 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Thank you Bill........very helpful

Jerry