Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Help with ultimate intraday scan PCF Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
RyanP
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:19:31 AM

Good morning Bruce (and everyone else),

Sorry about the obnoxious title, but I figured if it was catchy I'd get more eyes on it... :)

I'm trying to figure out how to write a PCF for a scan for finding stocks that have wide swings in price, several sessions in a row. So for example, a stock that moves >3% each session (up or down, I don't care), for X sessions in a row. 

What I'm looking for are stocks that offer reasonable movement every day (or say, every day for a week), rather than just a single day. The problem with most of the scans I've seen which look for percent gains is they pull up a bunch of stocks with good price action in ONE session - but that is more often that not an anomaly for that particular stock.

If I can run a scan with variables for both the movement I'm looking for (X% up OR down), and the number of consecutive sessions, then I would think I'd get a good selection of viable intraday candidates which could then be culled further. The scan could also be modified by traders who use shorter timeframes than daily to find candidates for edges that require intraday swings.

I hope that makes sense; as always thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can provide!

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:48:34 AM

Worden Trainer

The basic technique for checking for something being true at least x consecutive bars is explored on the following webpage.

Condition True at Least x Bars in a Row

So all you need to add to this is a Condition Formula for moving a certain percentage. If you mean from one close to the next.

ABS(C / C1 - 1) > .03

If you mean from open to close:

ABS(C / O - 1) > .03

If you mean from high to low:

H > 1.03 * L

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
RyanP
Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2015 8:05:18 AM

MANY thanks Bruce. As always, your wizardry is deeply appreciated!

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:59:52 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles