Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PCF for EMA of EMA to create scan condition Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
investalert
Posted : Monday, April 27, 2015 7:32:39 AM

Hi Bruce,

I have an indicator that plots the way I want it to and gives a value on the scale to the right of the chart. The indicator has the following properties:

Label                                   C/Vol

Plot Style                            Area

Indicator period                11

Average Type                    Exponential

Formula 1                           (C-XavgC2) * (V/XavgV2) * 1000

When I click the test formula 1  I get a value of -99.55 yet the value of the chart scale shows 49.70 for the symbol FAS at the close on Friday, 4//24/16.

==========================================

I then want to create a condition using this formula 2 to find the points at which the values of the above indicator reach a certain low value.  My condition is:

Plot style                            Line

Period                                 1

Average type                     Simple

Formula  2                          Xavg(C,11)-Xavg(XavgC2,11)) * (Xavg(V,11)/Xavg(XavgV2,11)) * 1000 < -100

When I click the test formula button I get a value of 52.27 (close to scale value of 49.7 above) for FAS compared to the values of the indicator above.

Further, I want to set a condition where formula 2, when compared to a value (e.g., -100), will show TRUE when condition is met.

From what I read regarding PCFs the above formula 2 should be correct, yet I am not getting the results I was expecting.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Richard

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:05:34 PM

Worden Trainer

The test result is the result of the formula, not for the 11-period exponential moving average of the formula which is actually being plotted.

Unfortunately XAVG(x / y) does not equal XAVGx / XAVGy. It just isn't the way exponential moving averages work. This means you would need to manually expand the 11-period exponenential moving average to write a formula.

You are betting off just clicking on the first Custom PCF Indicator and select Create Scan Condition to check for the value of the moving average of the first Custom PCF Indicator being below -100 than to write the formula.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles