Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Easy Scan - Finding Trending Stocks Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Rockford
Posted : Friday, December 19, 2014 10:02:26 PM

Hi,

Can you tell me what would be the Best Conditions to choose, to scan for Trending Stocks on a daily timeframe?

Thanks,

bcochrane
Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:22:46 PM

I don't think there is a single, simple answer to your question. How long do you want the trend to have lasted? How steep should it line be?

But you might find a couple of starting points in the this Discussion:

FINDING STOCKS IN A RISING CHANNEL?

I posted one way to search for trending stocks, and there is a link there to another discussion which shows another method (and quite ingenious) to find stocks which have been amongst the leaders in the past 12 months.

Good luck

Rockford
Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 10:35:53 PM

Thanks for gettting back with me bcochrane,

I explained my initial question incorrectly.

I trade in the afternoon, and what I'm looking for is a scan I can run around 1pm and on, EST, that brings in stocks that have been trending prior to 1pm. (What I meant when I said Daily timeframe is... as of 12/23/14 I'm going back to a Gold subscription, and won't be able to run scans on intra-day timeframes).

Thanks Rockford

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:54:41 AM

Worden Trainer

If you are going to be using Gold so the shortest scannable time frame is daily, the only way to try to determine the shape of the intraday data in your scan is going to be by the shape of the daily candle.

An extreme case of a trending stock in this case might be something where the stock opened at the low and is trading at the high with say at least a 1% increase.

L = O AND 1.01 * O <= C AND C = H

There would obviously be lots of candlestick types which aren't so extreme in nature which might indicating the stock is trending intraday.

But there really isn't a way to tell what the actual price action is intraday without looking at the intraday chart. Even in our extreme example, price could have been oscillating between the high and low all day long. and still meet the requirments now.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Rockford
Posted : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:05:57 PM

I tried using the condition... Price History Moving Up, set between slowly and quickly. It's working out pretty good.

Thanks Bruce and Merry Christmas.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 9:34:32 AM

Worden Trainer

It should work in whatever time frame is being used for the condition. So for example, if you are in a daily time frame, it will be looking for the change to be positive over the number of days used as the period of the condition.

What it will not do is tell you that price has been trending up intraday when using a daily or longer time frame.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles