Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Moving Average Cross over PCF Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tdlc007
Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:40:01 PM

Hi

Is there a condition formula that can scan for candles that are crossing over the 8 day moving average for the first time after a pullback in the trading day of a 2 min chart? I have attached an example of a chart below of symbol NEO.. At 10:12 there was a green 2 min candle that crossed above the 8 day moving average..I know subsequent candles remained above the 8 day moving average but what I am interested in is the first time it crosses over and to have a scan that can isolate that...The PCF i've used of C>XAVGC8 captures all candles above the 8 day moving average, but I just want to scan or create an alert for individual stocks in my watchlist for when it crosses over the very first time from a pullback like the example posted. Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:47:57 PM

Worden Trainer

You would probably want to check for where price was relative to its moving average during the previous bar in addition to what you already have for the current bar.

C > XAVGC8 AND C1 <= XAVGC8.1

PCF Formula Descriptions
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Quiktdr
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:36:41 PM

I created a cutome boolean PCF of C>XAvgC8 and C1<XavgC8.1  looking at a daily chart when it is true one would get a spike but when I use above and it is true I am not seeing that spike I also used C>XAvgC8 and XAvgC8>XavgC8.1  which appears better but not where I would anticipate seeing spike.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:41:39 PM

Worden Trainer

Can you provide some specific examples of where the EasyScan is not matching the chart?

If you are using the same Condition Formula as an EasyScan Condition, the spike should be happening on the current bar and not on the previous bar.

The Condition Formula is checking specifically for price being above the 8-period exponential moving average now, but for the close of the previous bar to be below the 8-period exponential moving average. It will not return true unless this specific type of crossover has occurred.

The Condition Formula does not check for the open to have been below the moving average and the current price to be above the moving average or for the low to be below the moving average and the high to be above the moving average for example.

Some other things to check are that the time frame of the chart matches the time frame of the EasyScan Condition and that the chart is scrolled all the way to the right.

Make sure the exponential moving average is of price and not something else (such as another moving average).

Note that if you change a Condition Formula in TC2000 version 12.4 after adding it to an EasyScan, those changes will not be reflected in the EasyScan. The EasyScan creates a copy of the original Condition Formula which is not linked to the original Condition Formula in any way.

You would need to remove and then re-add the EasyScan Condition to the EasyScan if you want it to reflect any changes to the Condition Formula made after it was added to the EasyScan.

Vigorous MA Crossover

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles