Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Vigorous MA Crossover Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
rick54
Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:13:28 PM

Hello Bruce,

On 1/19/2010 Julia explained her "vigorous ma crossover" involving the 10,25,40 exp. ma in real code condition at point 27:47 in the archived webinar titled, Moving Avg. Crossover Techniques. My search on the subject of her code hasn't produced anything that I can use in version 12.4 as a PCF.

I was wondering if you would be so kind as to please translate that scan information into a PCF format that I could enter into my current 12.4 version. Although she didn't mention it when she described the real code condition, she did mention several several times in the webinar of a large volume spike that accompanied the crossover. Could you include the volume spike condition in the string also?

As always Bruce, I greatly appreciate your help in coding matters.

Thank you

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:53:39 PM

Administration

O < AVGC10 AND O < AVGC25 AND O < AVGC40 AND C > AVGC10 AND C > AVGC25 AND C > AVGC40 AND AVGC10.1 < AVGC25.1 AND AVGC10.1 < AVGC40.1 AND AVGC10 > AVGC25 AND AVGC10.1 < AVGC40.1 AND AVGC10 > AVGC25

Her short, intermediate and long averages were 10, 25 and 40 bars.  You can edit the AVGCxx functions accordingly if you want to use different lenghts.

Quiktdr
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:59:01 AM

This may sound ridiculous but... I created a custom boolean PCF                                                              C > XAvgC8 and C1<XAVGC8.1 and expect to see the spike line on day this is true but when I use it in an ezscan the spike is rarely in last day's bar which I want. What am I doing wrong?  In other words when C first crosses XAvgC8 I should get spike    Thank you in advance!

diceman
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:08:41 PM

Maybe the spaces between C > and Xavgc8?

Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:14:13 PM

Worden Trainer

Can you provide some specific examples of where the EasyScan is not matching the chart?

If you are using the same Condition Formula as an EasyScan Condition, the spike should be happening on the current bar and not on the previous bar.

The Condition Formula is checking specifically for price being above the 8-period exponential moving average now, but for the close of the previous bar to be below the 8-period exponential moving average. It will not return true unless this specific type of crossover has occurred.

The Condition Formula does not check for the open to have been below the moving average and the current price to be above the moving average or for the low to be below the moving average and the high to be above the moving average for example.

Some other things to check are that the time frame of the chart matches the time frame of the EasyScan Condition and that the chart is scrolled all the way to the right.

Make sure the exponential moving average is of price and not something else (such as another moving average).

Note that if you change a Condition Formula in TC2000 version 12.4 after adding it to an EasyScan, those changes will not be reflected in the EasyScan. The EasyScan creates a copy of the original Condition Formula which is not linked to the original Condition Formula in any way.

You would need to remove and then re-add the EasyScan Condition to the EasyScan if you want it to reflect any changes to the Condition Formula made after it was added to the EasyScan.

Moving Average Cross over PCF

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Quiktdr
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:53:02 PM

I created an EZScan  with C>XAvgC8 and XAvgC8>XavgC8.1 and C1<XAVGC1  and APC, BA, YELP etc. come out as candidates even though the spike was not on last night's close 

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:12:52 PM

Worden Trainer

Your current Condition Formula:

C>XAvgC8 and XAvgC8>XavgC8.1 and C1<XAVGC1

Is checking for price to currently be above the current 8-period exponential moving average, the current 8-period exponential moving average to be above the previous 8-period exponential moving average and the previous price to be below the current price (as a 1-period expenential moving average of price is just price).

This is in fact true for APC, BA and YELP on a daily chart.

What specific price pattern are you actually attempting to identify?

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Quiktdr
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:21:01 PM

When  C>XAvgC8 and C1<XAvgC8.1  I want to see the spike for only stocks that cross over

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:34:03 PM

Worden Trainer

That Condition Formula:

C>XAvgC8 and C1<XAvgC8.1

Is specifically for price currently be above the 8-period exponential moving average and the close of the previous bar being below the 8-period exponential moving average.

If you use it as a Custom PCF % True Indicator it should produce spikes just for bars where this is happening on the chart.

Can you provide specific examples of symbols where this is not the case?

If you use this an EasyScan Condition, the EasyScan should only return symbols where this is the case.

Can you provide specific examples of symbols where this is not the case?

Are these symbols the same symbols when using a Custom PCF % True Indicator as when using the Condition Formula as an EasyScan Condition?

If you have modified the Condition Formula after adding it to the EasyScan, you will need to remove the EasyScan Condition and re-add it to the EasyScan if you want the changes reflected in the EasyScan.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Quiktdr
Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:38:31 PM

Got it don't know what I was doing wrong! Strange!     TY Bruce

srinibalram
Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:37:09 PM

Hi Bruce,

Request you help.

1. Is there a pcf that can identify stocks that have tried crossing the 52 week highs in a given year.
  2. Can it indicate the frequency. Say stock tried crossing   its 52 week high of $10 - 3 timed in a year.
  3. A pcf that can scan for stocks that are 1% close to their  52 week high.

Thanks in advance

Srini

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:17:49 PM

Worden Trainer

Here is an idea you might want to try. Let's start with item 3. A Condition Formula for the high of a price bar being within 1% of its 52-week high could be written as follows in a weekly time frame.

H >= .99 * MAXH52

Or for a 252-trading day year in a daily time frame as follows.

H >= .99 * MAXH252

These formulas just compare the current bar to the current yearly high.

We can check the percentage of bars over the previous year that had highs within 1% of the previous high by using the appropriate Condition Formula as the Boolean Formula in a Custom PCF % True Indicator.

You would set the Period to 52 and the Average Type to Simple on a weekly chart. You would set the Period to 252 and the Average Type to Simple on a daily chart.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
srinibalram
Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:09:19 PM

Thanks a ton Bruce

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:22:22 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce