Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Troubling EPS Scan Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Prime90
Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 2:40:59 AM

Hello,

I am trying to adjust the "Diluted EPS from Total Operations" scan condition to something like"greater than previous". I love the fundamental searches but everything in the condition tab is to specific and leaves out potential stocks. I was wondering if it is possible to make it more general in some way.

For example: "Diluted EPS from Total Operations"  is greater than  "Previous Diluted EPS from Total Operations"

The condition would catch something like this.

CURRENT EPS    >      PREVIOUS EPS

-.23             -.33

-. 55             -.60

-.01               -.10

.05                 .01

.10                .03

-.11               -.23

.35                .12

So basically whether a stocks EPS is negative or positive as long as EPS is improving it will be caught by the scanner. I think the problem is with selecting the period. The EPS does not change every 60 bars or every 20.  Sometimes it 10 bars others its 50 I found it ranges. So how can I scan to where the program finds EPSs greater than the one previously logged.        

Thank you!

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 1:41:55 PM

Worden Trainer

I cannot think of a way to do this in TC2000.

Every method I can think requires setting an arbitrary period of some sort over which to check.

The nicest of these which I have tried so far would appear to be adding both Diluted EPS from Total Operations and the Aroon Oscillator to the chart with the Data Source of the Aroon Oscillator set to Diluted EPS from Total Operations.

Plot historical fundamentals from Morningstar (7:00)
Change Data Source (3:38)

If the Aroon Oscillator is greater than 0 then the high of Diluted EPS from Total Operations had its highest high over the period of the Aroon Oscillator more recently than its lowest low over the same period.

This isn't the same as checking for the most recent net change being positive as opposed to negative, but it does appear to be strongly correlated.

You still need to decide on a period to use. You might want to try something just a bit longer than the longest normal period between changes to see how well it works for you.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Prime90
Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:43:17 AM

Thank you for the idea Bruce!

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:39:40 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas