Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Calculation Order in TC2000 Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
dempsey30338
Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 7:04:05 PM

Dear Worden Support,

I have a perhaps dumb question but what is the order of calculation in TC2000? For example, with 500 bars of data a limit, does the calculation start at C500 (on the left) or at C0 (on the right)? I assume positions are numbered from the right to the left because a bar counter indicates those positions. When a PCF as simple as C/C1 is used, how does the calculation order proceed in a columnized fashion?

I have used TC2000 since the mid-1990s but I have never been confronted with this question. Thanks for any tutorial you may provide.

Dempsey30338

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 9:18:53 AM

Worden Trainer

Calculations normally happen from left to right. This is because things like MoneyStream (MS), On Balance Volume (OBV), Exponential Moving Averages (or any indicators calculated with EMAs or Wilder's Smoothing) need to use older values of the indicator in order to be able to calculate newer values of the indicator.

The bars ago parameter in Personal Criteria Formulas is based on right to left numbering however. 0 (or nothing listed for the parameter) represents the current bar, 1 represents 1 bar ago and 250 represents 250 bars ago.

While the calculations happen from left to right, it really doesn't matter much for WatchList Columns as they are calculated only for the most recent bar.

If you use a PCFs as part of Custom Indicators, the 0 bar is not necessarily the most recent bar on the chart, but the currently calculating bar. So when the Custom Indicator is being calculated for 250 bars ago, 0 represents the bar being plotted 250 bars ago and not the most recent bar on the chart.

The only time the previously calculated values matter however is when you are using a Custom PCF Cumulative Indicator or if the Period of the Custom PCF Indicator is set to something besides 1. And the order of calculation matters in this case only if you are using a Custom PCF Cumulative Indicator or if the Average Type is set to Exponential (and the Period is set to something other than 1).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles