Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Only Show the MA of Elder Force Index Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
ghanson
Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:46:41 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

When I add the Elder Force Index indicator to a chart the range of Force Index 2 flattens out the EMA 13 of the index.  How can I show just the EMA 13 of Elder's Force Index in order to make it more prominent?

Thanks,

Greg

Jessica_R
Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:44:01 PM

Worden Staff

ghanson,

The EMA13 is a child indicator of the Elder Force Index. You cannot have the EMA 13 in the same pane without the Elder Force Index. However, there is a workaroudn for this.

First, plot the Elder Force Index and EMA 13.

Next, Right Click on your chart and select Add New Plot to Chart. Search for Custom PCF Indicator. Type the formula as C-C  . It will be a flat line.

Next, plot the Exponential Moving Average.  Click the indicator to edit and change the period to 13. Change the data souce ( at the bottom of the edit box) to Foce Index 2- instead of Formula (C-C). 

Now you have a move visable EMA13 of the Elder Foce Index. 

ghanson
Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:38:59 PM

Jessica,

Thanks for the reply.  I followed your directions explicitly but it isn't working.

I added Custom PCF Indicator to my chart and set the formula to c-c.  I have a flat, gray, horizontal line at 0.00.  I set the Period to 13 and Average to Exponential.  i still have the horizontal line at 0.00.  But when I change the data source to Force Index 2 the line disappears.  I'm left with a title bar listing "Formula(c-c) avg 13" and a scale running from 0.01 - 0.09 but no horizontal line.

If I set the data source to anything other than price the horizontal line is gone.

Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope!

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, May 2, 2014 7:59:37 AM

Worden Trainer

You do not want to set the period of the Custom PCF Indicator to 13 and the Average to Exponential. You want to add a 13-period exponential moving average to the Custom PCF Indicator.

There is a difference in that adding a moving average involves selecting Add Plot to Chart (the green + in the upper left of the chart in TC2000 version 12.4), choosing Moving Average - Exponential from the list and then choosing the Custom PCF Indicator as the parent of the moving average when prompted.

You are then going to Change Data Source on the Exponential Moving Average (not on the Custom PCF Indicator).

Adding and Moving Indicators
Change Data Source

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
ghanson
Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:21:25 PM

Victory!

Now that I have reread Jessica's instructions with the insight from your clarification, Bruce, I have correctly built the indicator.  I knew it was operator error but just could not see it.

Thank you for gently pointing me in the right direction.

Greg

P.S. The workaround is pretty clever.

Jessica_R
Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:39:41 AM

Worden Staff

ghanson,

Glad it is working for you!