Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Reference Previous Values of Custom Indicator Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Chris_Moody
Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:32:22 AM

1.  I created a custom Indicator I named Twiggs Money Flow

2.  The Formula is:  (V*(4*C-2*C1-H-L-ABS(H-C1)+ABS(L-C1))

/(H-L+ABS(H-C1)+ABS(L-C1) +0.000001))

3.  But to get it to plot correct values In the Settings I chose Exponential for Average Type, and 41 for Period.

4.  I need to build a scan that says Twiggs Money Flow Crosses above 0 within last 5 Trading Days

5.  I created the Scan condition and saved it but it is referencing the current day.

6.  I read previous posts that you couldn't reference previous data on a custom PCF. Is this still true?  If so can I create other versions of this Indicator that plot the value 1 day back, 2 days back etc.?  Any workarounds or solutions would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks for your help...
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:46:52 AM

Worden Trainer

As long as you are willing to accept being below 0 five bars ago and above 0 during the current bar as a good enough definition of crossing up through zero within the last five trading days, then it is possible to create an EasyScan to check for this.

Start by adding a 1-period exponential moving average with an offset of 5 to the Custom PCF Indicator for Twiggs Money Flow.

You can then click on the Custom PCF Indicator and select Create Scan Condition to create a condition for the Custom PCF Indicator being Greater Than 0.

And click on the offset moving average of the Custom PCF Indicator and select Create Scan Condition to create a condition for offset moving average being Less Than 0.

Create Conditions from Your Chart

You would then use both conditions as EasyScan Conditions in the same EasyScan.

Building a Scan with Multiple Conditions

The EasyScan will only return symbols in the List to Scan of the EasyScan which meet the requirements of all of the EasyScan Conditions.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Chris_Moody
Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:20:28 PM

Bruce,

I added the indicator "TwiggsMoneyFlow" to my chart.

Then I added a 1 period Simple Moving Average referencing the Twiggs Money Flow which plots the Moving Average at the exact value of the Twiggs Money Flow.

If I change the offset of the Moving average it moves it back but the value shows todays value...so I don't see how this will work.

What you said above would work.  If within the last 5 days the indicator was below 0 and within the last 5 days the indicator is above 0 that would work.  I could then add in another condition saying it was above 0 today...which would === value being below 0 and being above 0 within the last 5 days AND the value is above 0 today....I would say this would give a 99%+ accuracy.

How would I say the value was below 0 and above 0 in the last 5 days?  And if I have to add in a 1 period SMA into the code of the Twiggs Money Flow indicator How would I do this?  The code for the Indicator is in the first post.  

Also depending on your answer to the question above if it's possible to say in the code the Twiggs Money Flow should be based on a Exponential Moving average of 41 periods then would it be possible to write the code and say.... CODE is < 0 within last 5 bars AND CODE > 0 within last 5 bars AND Code is > 0 today?  Although the last part Code > 0 today can easily be done in a separate scan condition...

Thanks for your help

diceman
Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:24:57 PM

This does work Chris I do it all the time.

Thanks