Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Negative %b pcf Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
JordanS
Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:28:28 PM
Hi.  Hi would I express the following?:

Today's %b value is less then negative 10? 

I keep trying, and keep getting weird results.  I think one thing that might be tripping me up is getting confused over when to use decimals, if that makes sense.  Remember, I'm looking for 10% below the lower Bollinger Band, not .1% below. 

Thanks.
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:53:41 PM

Worden Trainer

The Bollinger Bands %B indicator in TC2000 version 12.4 has a value of 0.00 when price is at the bottom of the Bollinger Bands and 1.00 when price is at the top of the Bollinger Bands.

This means that when you click on the Bollinger Bands %B indicator on the chart and select Create Scan Condition, you would want to create a condition for the Bollinger Bands %B indicator being less than -0.10 (not -10.00) if you want price to be 10% of the total width of the Bollinger Bands below the bottom Bollinger Band.

Create Conditions from Your Chart

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
JordanS
Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:36:31 PM

Okay, and can I assume that the same would hold true when writing a pcf?  That is, it would be the %b forumula (which I know) < -.10?

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:42:12 PM

Worden Trainer

Probably, but I could not say for sure without seeing the PCF or knowing the settings of the Bollinger Band %B indicator and providing the formula myself.

Pretty much every formula I have given in the forums since TC2000 version 11 came out is designed to match the results of the indicator as it plots in TC2000.

Prior to that, there was a mix of different types of formulas provided depending on the way the customer asked the question. Some had the Bollinger Band %B running from 0.00 to 1.00 and other had it running from 0 to 100.

If you got the formula from the forums and it has a + .5 at the end, then it is based on running from 0 to 1. If it has a + 50 at the end, then it is based on running from 0 to 100.

You would want to use < -0.1 if the %B runs from 0 to 1 and < -10 if the %B runs from 0 to 100.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles