Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

DI crossovers Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
cth920
Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:33:23 PM

Hi I can see EasyScan has +DI crossing up/down through -DI

but I want to scan something like this it's like +DI cross down -DI then cross up -DI, is it possible to do it?(during the day or next day?)

also wanted to know when setting up ADX with +-DI  does +-DI scale with itself or with with ADX, thx in advance

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:09:05 PM

Worden Trainer

The normal technique I would use for this is unfortunately not possible because you can't add moving averages to the Directional Movement (+DI -DI) indicator in TC2000 version 12.4.

What we can do instead is create a Custom PCF Indicator which will cross through 0 at the same time that the +DI and -DI lines of the Directional Movement indicator cross through each other.

- Select Add Plot to Chart (the green + in the upper left of the chart).
- Start typing Custom PCF Indicator in the search box.
- Choose the Custom PCF Indicator when it gets high enough in the list to see it.
- Click on the Custom PCF Indicator and select Edit.
- Set the Average Type to Exponential.
- Use the following Formula: (H - H1) * (H - H1 > L1 - L) * (H > H1) - (L1 - L) * (H - H1 < L1 - L) * (L < L1)

The Period settings of the Custom PCF Indicator will require a bit of explanation. You need to know the period of the Directional Movement indicator. You will double this period and then subtract 1 to get the period to use as the Period in the Custom PCF Indicator. So if the Directional Movement period is 14, then the period to use in the Custom PCF Indicator will be 27 as it is (14 * 2) - 1 = 27.

Now we will add a 1-period exponential moving average with an offset of 1 to the Custom PCF Indicator. Having both the period and offset of the moving average set to 1 is very important. This moving average will plot the value of the Custom PCF Indicator from 1 bar ago as the current value of the moving average.

Now we will click on the Custom PCF Indicator and select Create Scan Condition. Set the Condition drop-down menu to Crossing Up Value and the Crossing Up Through setting to 0. You can select Scan in New Window to create a new EasyScan based on this condition.

Create New Conditions from Your Chart

Since our first condition is for the Custom PCF Indicator crossing up zero, we now need to create a condition for the moving average crossing down zero. Click on the offset moving average and select Create Scan Condition. Set the Condition drop-down menu to Crossing Down Value and the Crossing Down Through setting to 0.

You can select Add to an existing WatchList or Scan and then select Add to Conditions in the EasyScan we created earlier to add the condition based on the offset moving average to same EasyScan with the condition based on the Custom PCF Indicator itself.

Building a Scan with Multiple Conditions

The resulting EasyScan will probably not be perfect, but most of the results should exhibit the desired pattern in the Directional Movement (+DI -DI) indicator.

You can repeat the above process but using Crossing Down Value 0 for the condition based on the Custom PCF Indicator and Crossing Up Value 0 for the condition based on the offset moving average to create an EasyScan which checks for the reverse arrangement of quick crossovers.

If the ADX indicator is scaled with the Directional Movement (+DI -DI) indicator or not when they are in the same pane depends entirely in if they were set to plot in the same scale when the indicators were added to the pane.

If you already have both the Directional Movement (+DI -DI) and ADX indicators plotted on the charts, you can click on the Move icon (a small arrow pointing both up and down to the left of the names of the indicators in the pane) for one of these indicators and then select & Scale With in the pane of the other indicator to move the indicators into the same pane and scale as each other.

Adding and Moving Indicators

If you are adding the indicators from scratch, add the ADX indicator first. Then click on the ADX indicator and select Add Plot Here..., select the Directional Movement (+DI -DI) indicator and choose to scale with the ADX indicator when prompted. Note that this will not work in the opposite direction because the menu which comes up when clicking on the Directional Movement (+DI -DI) indicator will not have an option to Add Plot Here....

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
cth920
Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:38:33 PM

works like a charm, many thx, just 2 quick questions

1) is there a way to scan this condition, say, in the past couple weeks, say I just want to check how well did these stocks perform after meeting my condition

2) is there some kind of way to track performance of my portfolio, say I created a simple condition, stock price cross up through ma200, buy,  cross down thr ma200, sell, and I wanted to track the performance of this( say, accurate rate, total paper money after running 1 month, etc), I know the hard way is paper and pen/ excel/paper accounts etc, but I think there are easiler ways, even if not in Tc2000,if you can,free or not,  do you have any information regarding my needs?

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:47:56 PM

Worden Trainer

You can scan for a specific number of bars ago by adding 1-period exponential moving averages with the appropriate offsets to the Custom PCF Indicator. For example, if the offset settings were 10 and 11, you could click on the EMA offset by 10 as if it were the Custom PCF Indicator and the EMA offset by 11 as if it were the EMA offset by 1 in the instructions above to check for the pattern happening 10 bars ago instead of for the current bar.

TC2000 does not really have the sort of backtesting you want built in. We do have a product called StockFinder which can do backtesting using BackScanner, but it really doesn't have full portfolio management features which would give you the values you want either.

I really cannot make any specific third party suggestions (although I can say there are products which do this sort of thing). 

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles