Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Relative Strength (S&P Sectors vs S&P 500) Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
dmalyga
Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 8:57:13 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Hi,

Is it possible setting up a chart that will calc the relative strength of XLI,XLU, XLE,XLF,XLP,XLB, XLV, XLY, XLK vs the S&P 500 in one chart?

If so, please help me out.

Thanks,

Dave

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:14:18 AM

Worden Trainer

The closest thing you could probably do in TC2000 version 12.3 is right-click on Price History and select Comparisons. Then use all of the desired symbols as comparison symbols, check start all plots at same point and change the main chart symbol to SP-500.

You could actually plot Relative Strength indicators versus SP-500 for all of these indicators in the same chart in the TC2000 version 12.4 beta.

You would click Add Plot to Chart and start typing the name of each symbol to add a price plot for each of the symbols to the chart. Then you would add a Relative Strength indicator for each symbol to the chart and change the settings if desired. You can click on each of the Relative Strength indicators in turn and select Change Data Source to choose the price plots for each symbol you added earlier. The resulting Relative Strength indicators would be based on the price plots for those symbols instead of the main price plot.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
pcox
Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:49:59 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Can I do this in Telechart v7 Gold?  Looking to create formula to give a Ratio of RS of Sector ETF list vs SP500 for various time period, say, 1mo, 3mo, 6mo..etc.   There is a prewritten formula for RS vs SP500 for 1yr, but I cannot find it to open it and see the formula.  I want the same output, but wuth the ability to customize time period.

Thanks!

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:00:50 AM

Worden Trainer

No, you cannot do this in TC2000 version 7.

If you setup the Relative Strength indicators in TC2000 version 12.4 as described in my original response, you can add Rate of Change Percent indicators of the desired periods to the chart. These will by default be calculated on price, but you can click on the Rate of Change Percent indicators and select Change Data Source to use the Relative Strength indicators instead of price if you want to get the Relative Strength calculated over a specific period of time instead of just as a ratio.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
thomasjenkinsjr
Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:24:57 AM

Hello bruce,

I'm trying to build this chart as you described but i'm having some trouble. Can you walk me through this step-by-step?

"You could actually plot Relative Strength indicators versus SP-500 for all of these indicators in the same chart in the TC2000 version 12.4 beta.

You would click Add Plot to Chart and start typing the name of each symbol to add a price plot for each of the symbols to the chart. Then you would add a Relative Strength indicator for each symbol to the chart and change the settings if desired. You can click on each of the Relative Strength indicators in turn and select Change Data Source to choose the price plots for each symbol you added earlier. The resulting Relative Strength indicators would be based on the price plots for those symbols instead of the main price plot."

Thanks in advance
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:35:40 PM

Worden Trainer

- Select Add Plot to Chart.
- Start typing the symbol or name of a symbol use wish to use as the main symbol in RS.
- Select it from the list when it gets close enough to the top of the list to see it.
- Select Add Plot to Chart.
- Add the Relative Strength indicator to the chart.
- Click on the Relative Strength Indicator and select Edit.
- Set the Symbol of the Relative Strength to the RS symbol (the denominator in the ratio).
- Set the Data Source to the price plot for the symbol we added earlier (the numerator in the ratio).

You may optionally click on the Move icon (it looks like an arrow pointing up and down) in either the price plot for the symbol we used as the numerator or the Relative Strength indicator and select Overlay (but not & Scale With) to move these two indicators into the same pane. If you do so, you would probably want to click on the price plot for the symbol and select Edit to drag the Opacity slider all the way to the left so it is not visible.

You would repeat the above process for each of the symbol pairs you wish to create.

The following two videos explore how to add and move indicators and change the data source of an indicator. The only things we do in the above process is edit indicator settings or the things covered by the videos.

Adding and Moving Indicators
Change Data Source

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles