Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Creating Bullish and Bearish Engulfing PCF Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
hawkstone1
Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:09:00 AM

Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to create a PCF for Bullish or Bearish Engulfing patterns.  Anytime I go to create new scan and I enter the formula for Bullish Engulfing it only allows me to enter the first line of the code as good with the system able to return values.  I know that each line of the code is good, individually, but when I try to enter them in the same scan window it gives me an error message.

For example, the code for bullish engulfing is:

(H1-L1)/(AVGH21.1-AVGL21.1)*100

C1/O1*100

C/O*100

(((((C1>O1)*C1)+((C1<=O1)*O1))*(-1))-L1)/(H1-L1)*100

(((((C1<=O1)*C1)+((C1>O1)*O1))*(-1))-L1)/(H1-L1)*100

*sort in ascending order

--> when I try to enter these formulas, I can only get through the first line of the code as good.  Am I suppose to write the formulae right next to each other? or Write them as I have it written here?  Is there anything else I would need in order to create this criteria?

Thanks

Heath

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:38:01 AM

Worden Trainer

It reads like you are trying to implement the technique described in the PCFs and EasyScans for Candlestick Patterns topic. When it says at the top of the post that the "following videos are considered REQUIRED viewing before you proceed", it means it.

How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF)
Using EasyScan to find stocks that meet your own criteria
Constructing more versatile and reusable Personal Criteria Formulas
Create your own stock rankings using WatchLists and Sort conditions

You need to create each of the formulas as their own Personal Criteria Formula (not in a single PCF). Then you need to add all of the PCFs you created to the same EasyScan as EasyScan Conditions and adjust the EasyScan Rangefinder for each of those EasyScan Conditions as instructed in the topic.

The idea for the technique is a clever one. You create multiple re-usable PCFs. You then use each of these PCFs in a variety of different EasyScans to identify different candlestick patterns. It leverages the idea that different candlestick patterns use the same basic components to allow the various PCFs to be re-used.

That said, I much prefer the technique described in the Boolean PCFs for Candlestick Patterns topic and I would suggest you try it before continuing to struggle with your current approach.

It just has a single PCF for each candlestick pattern. The PCFs are generally a bit longer, but they are tailor made for each pattern. This means you only need one PCF to identify the pattern in the EasyScan. It also means you don't need to adjust the EasyScan Rangefinder for each of the EasyScan Conditions.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
hawkstone1
Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:15:10 AM

The Boolean PCFs for Candlestick Patterns worked.

Thanks

mpelletier0954
Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 1:56:55 PM

thank  I will try this

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 2:01:36 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles