Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Custom Index request for Telechart V12 Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
stargeezer
Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:39:58 AM

I was looking over my StockFinder layouts today and I again realized one of the features I really miss in TeleChart V12 is the custom Watchlist Index.  This is so very useful in comparing the current and past performance of individual stocks to a portfolio and picking out the dogs to remove as well as stellar stocks to add.

In StockFinder 5.1 I plot the unweighted custom index my portfolio with the same Fixed % Log scaling as the individual stock on the same chart.  Scaling is unlinked so they overlay with an equal dollar investment scale.  I’ve tried using the comparison tools of TeleChart and it is not possible to generate charts that are as useful as these.   I’ve included two StockFinder charts to demonstrate this comparison.

In StockFinder, this index is unweighted and thus allows a fair comparison to an equal dollar investment portfolio.  StockFInder V12 already has the capability to add specific investment tracking information so a weighted index would also be easy to implement.  I am most interested in an unweighted custom index but TeleChart V12 should have the capability to plot both unweighted and weighted custom indexes as indicators overlayed in a stock chart.

Please add these two custom indexes to StockFinder V12.  They are really useful and are really missed.  It is actually astonishing that they are not there already.  Even the first technical analysis charting software I used thirty years ago, the Dow Jones Market Analyzer for the Apple IIe, could plot custom indexes. 

I’ve requested this before and it is case #9599.  Others have requested custom indexes and they are cases #7211, 7231, and maybe others.  A measure of the interest in custom indexes is demonstrated by a search of “custom index” in the Discussion forums that produces four pages of letters.  This is a useful tool people were, at least at some time, interested in.  I imagine some of them have just grown weary after finding a case number assigned and then seeing no sign of anything ever happening.  Maybe now is the time to look at this again.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Stargeezer

Platinum user

User since 2000

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:16:46 AM

Worden Trainer

Thank you for your suggestion.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
jimgrubb
Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:30:51 PM

I am also very interested in having this feature to create my own weighted or unweighted index from a watchlist.  Please count this as my vote for this feature.

Regards,

Jim

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:34:32 PM

Worden Trainer

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Siddharth
Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 11:19:25 AM

I am also looking for exact same thing. Thank you for your detailed post! Hopefully this will help put this feature in TC2000 12.3 It is such a great software, to add this particular feature, and a back-test of a portfolio to any given (back)date will make this software the best ever! Thanks again,

-sd

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 12:23:39 PM

Worden Trainer

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
MitchD
Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:45:13 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Has the custom index been implemented by now? If so, how do I create one? Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:51:10 PM

Worden Trainer

No, it has not been implemented in TC2000.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles