Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

TC2000 12 under Linux! Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
akspeculations
Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:11:19 PM

In the past, many Linux users had to run virtualization software in order to use the online silverlight based charting software.  Now, with the work from Erich Hoover a patch for wine has been created in order to have the propietary silverlight installed.  It's silly because it was intended for use with netflix - but with all of this said TC2000 v12 works, and quite decently I might add.

Those who are running Ubuntu, it's relatively quite simple to get yourself started.

Now, results may vary...

Open your terminal and type:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

After that, you may run the command:

netflix-desktop

Essentially what it does is install a firefox through wine.  After this, you can run the netflix-desktop app, which how you'll view netflix videos if you're using it for what it was intended, or view TC2000 charts...

You'll notice that the browser opens in full screen mode by default, but by pressing f11 you make it into a standard window if need be.  You'll also need a way to type in the tc2000 url.  This can be done by pressing "ctrl+t" to open a new tab, and then by right cliking to the right of the new tab and checking off navigation toolbar.

I thought this was pretty neat since I do a lot of work under Linux.

Feel free to post any questions.

airrun
Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 5:19:11 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Thanks for sharing this info, as I've been wanting to run TC2000 on Linux for a long time. This looked promosing for Ubuntu. Running Ubuntu Precise. Got it started up after it crashed on the first install and it did work for a bit and then sort of froze up. Then it did nothing when trying to start netflix-desktop the second time. Uninstalled, removed the repo, reinstalled repo and appliation. Tried again and still does nothing. It did work the first time. Oh, well. Maybe others will have better luck. Wine is tricky to deal with has been my experience.

airrun
Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:30:45 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Ok, after some digging around, I think I have this working. 

If anyone follows the install instructions above, but netflix-desktop command does not launch the application (does nothing), try the following on the command line:

rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser

Run netflix-desktop again to see if it works. If not, also try to run this command:

rm -Rf ~/.netflix-desktop

This worked for me. Thanks again for pointing this application out.

wealthygurl
Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:54:57 PM

Is anyone out there????? I am running Ubuntu Linux on my desktop. Not because I chose it. but because an exboyfriend installed it.  I need to download tc2000 but am not able to download Silverlight succesfully.

How do I get to the terminal to type in the above commands?

yep....siily me :)

Joi

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:40:20 AM

Worden Trainer

The following page on the Ubuntu website explores how to start the terminal.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
j22
Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 10:18:44 AM

I have been able to get tc2000 working on 2 linux mint machines.  Was not able to get it using directions of akspeculatioins (problems with installing the Hoover ppa, etc).  However, doing some google research on hoover led to the pipelight ppa which does the essentially the same function as the hoover.  Go to http://fds-team.de/cms-pipelight-installation.html and follow the directions.  Using Mint, I used the Ubuntu directions. Copied and pasted the teminal commands into a terminal window. When finished, opened my browser to tc2000.com and the silverlight plugin auto installed, then tc2000 opened.  Takes less than 5 minutes.  Installed on Mint 13 laptop and desktop.  Desktop was originally Mint 9 and encountered some problems (can't remember details) so I upgraded 9 to 13 as it had been 3 to 5 years since I installed 9 and 9 is no longer supported.

Many thanks to akspeculations.

j22
Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 5:11:02 PM

OK I messed up that link for pipelight in above post.  Should be http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html.

j22
Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:24:26 PM

Update to the two j22 May 12, 2014 posts in this thread --

The url link in the previous posts, http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.htm no longer works but forwards to a site about Wine Staging.  It may be that Wine Staging will do the same functionality as pipelight - I do not know.  I do not currently desire to experiment with it.  I did locate the following site which is an archive of the pipelight url and has the commands and instructions to install pipelight and the silverlight plugin --

https://archive.is/fds-team.de.  

At this page, select one of the Pipelight | Installation links and then click on the link for the flavor of linux you have.  It will bring up a page with the commands to run in a terminal which will add the pipelight ppa repository to your linux OS and install pipelight.  Follow the instructions to add and enable the silverlight plugin.  (In my case, when you type the command, silverlight was with a lower case "s").

I had tried and failed to manually add the pipelight ppa repository to my Linux Mint 18 software sources.  The commands listed in the above archive worked.  All this takes less than 5 minutes to complete and get TC2000 up and running in your web browser.