Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

MACD Histogram level detection Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
papere
Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:39:59 PM

I have a level detection problem and any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I want to scan a watchlist and detect when the MACD histogram reverses direction either positive or negative.

I have been able to find the way to make a condition to detect zero crossing but I want to detect the reversal of the direction and I have not been able to find a solution.

Thank you. 

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:52:39 PM

Administration

Add a moving average, simple, period 1 and offset 1 to the MACD histogram.

Then click on MACD and Create Scan Condition.  Set the condition to "crossing up moving average 1+1".  You can add it as a sort column or save the condition and use it in a scan. It will return True when MACD reverses direction to the upside.

Repeat and select "crossing down moving average 1+1" for reversals to the downside.

papere
Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:05:27 PM

Thank you.  I am not sure about the 1 + 1 but will try to figure it out.   Thanks again.

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:20:01 PM

Administration

When you add a moving average and Edit it, set the Period to 1 and the Offset to 1. It shows "1+ 1" in the name of the indicator.

papere
Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:30:13 PM

On the screen it states "MovAvg 1", but I have period set to 1 and offset set to 1 and it appears to function as I requested.  thank you.

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:35:26 PM

Administration

I'm sorry, didn't notice you were running StockFinder which doesn't show the +1.