Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Tip for speeding up version 7 Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
fpetry
Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:20:58 PM

After numerous attempts to fall in love with the newest cloud based TC, version 12, I always keep coming back to my true love, version 7.  But over time I seemed to notice that v7 was getting slower updating the day's price data and other functions such as placing a ticker in a personal watchlist.

Today I decided to remove v7 that had been on my hard drive for about 6 years and reload it.  Now it's back to it's original blazing speed.  A bit of a hassle having to recustomize some chart and template settings, but worth the effort.  Before doing the cleanup I saved a screenshot of original layout and it made the resetting job much easier.

flash1
Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:44:40 PM

Could you not have downloaded your files to File: Backup/Restore to Worden Server, then deleted your TC2000 from your computer, then reloaded the files from the Worden Server?  Or is your program faster now because you deleted a lot of Watchlists, charts, etc.?

I need to know this because I too keep coming back to version 7.

Thanks,

Flash

fpetry
Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 5:14:29 AM

I basically did just that Flash. I first backed up all files to Worden server via backup/restore.  Next I deleted TC from hard drive, then downloaded latest version 7 via link on Worden main page.  Once loaded on hd I imported those backup files..."import all items." I never cleaned up TC by removing certain watchlists, easy scans, or pcfs; I kept everything.  This has definitely and significantly fixed the slowdown on certain functions. The fact that my older TC had been on hd for several years may have been the problem.  No tech guru, but I think the program had built up a ton of old files, etc., and was causing hd to work overtime trying to find certain bits and pieces.  Previously if I waited until day's end to perform day's first update for price and chart data, it would literally take five minutes, now it takes one minute. Other functions are much faster now too, such as placing removing tickers from my main watchlist.

diceman
Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 9:06:23 AM

Is include criteria which require more than 250 days of history checked?

Thats typically the biggest speed determinate.

Thanks diceman

fpetry
Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:03:24 PM

QUOTE (diceman)

Is include criteria which require more than 250 days of history checked?

Thats typically the biggest speed determinate.

Good question Diceman, but that option never has been checked on my TC.  Before trying the fix above that worked great, I had also tried a disk cleanup and defrag.

Thanks diceman

jas0501
Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:33:13 AM

One is left to wonder if removing and reloading was just a manual defrag.

Had you tried defragging you drive first? If so did you notice any improvements?

It may be the quantity of data on the reload is just less. That is the lookback may be less than the data stored, assuming realtime data falls out of view

Another idea would be that delisted symbols might leftover and clogging the works.

---------------------------------------------------------

It would be interesting to hear from Worden people as to the reason for the speedup and if there is a simple explanation, so that otheres might make an informed decision as to the value of doing a complete reinstall.

StockGuy
Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:50:21 AM

Administration

I think the "manual defrag" sounds like the reason for the improved performance. Version 7 doesn't generate files that don't get used.  If you uninstall the program and then re-install, you'll have the same files you had in the first place.