Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Gap Back Testing Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jsapitro
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:30:10 PM

What is the PCF or process to find all gaps up or down over a certain percentage (let's say 10%) over the last year?  I would like to find them so that I can analyze them based on different hypotheses. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:44:26 PM

Worden Trainer

When you say gap, do you mean the previous from the previous high or low to the current low or high, from the previous high or low to the current open, from the previous close to the current open or something else?

TC2000 does not have any built in backtesting features, but it would be possible to create a Condition Formula for the desired gap definition and then use it as a Custom PCF % True Indicator to visually see when it was true on the chart.

You could also create a Condition for this in TC2000 version 12.2 by setting the period of the Custom PCF % True Indicator to approximately one year (252 for example) and the average type to simple. Clicking on the Custom PCF % True Indicator and selecting Create Scan Condition for Greater Than 0 would identify symbols where this had been true at least once during the previous year.

It would be possible to do something similar in TC2000 version 7 using a Personal Criteria Formula, but it would be rather long as you would have to include checks for each trading day in the year individually within the formula.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
jsapitro
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:59:57 PM

My gap definition, assuming a gap up is old high to new low, and for a gap down, old low to new high.  If that equals 10% I would want to identify it.  Are you saying that I can or can not go bak and find every stock that had a gap occurance in TC2000, Version 12.2?  If I can, can you give me instructions how, in real understandabble terms?  Think TC2000 for dummies.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:12:29 PM

Worden Trainer

I'm saying you can do so in TC2000 version 12.2, but it was impossible to get into specifics without knowing your particular definition.

Add a Custom PCF % True Indicator with the following settings:

- Period: 1
- Average Type: Simple
- Boolean Formula: L >= 1.1 * H1 OR H <= .9 * L1

Done this way, there will be a spike on the chart every time your requirements are met. This is the version you would want to use to visualize individual bars meeting your requirements.

We can change the Period to 252 however to check for the entire year:

- Period: 252
- Average Type: Simple
- Boolean Formula: L >= 1.1 * H1 OR H <= .9 * L1

Now click on the Custom PCF % True Indicator and select Create Scan Condition. Choose Greater Than from the Condition drop-down and set Greater Than to 0.

You can then save the Condition to use later or add it immediately to WatchList or Scan by selecting the desired option from the bottom of the Create Scan Condition window.

Creating Scan and Sort Conditions

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jsapitro
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:54:22 PM

Thank you.  I will give it a try.

Bludog
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:04:19 PM

Bruce,

When I click on "Custom PCF % True Indicator" in "Select Indicator" I do not get any place where I can enter the data you show below-- Period, Avg Type, Boolean Formula. What I get are 5 boxes which are selections one can make: "Chart in New Window", "Sort in New Window," "Add Column.. and Sort" with arrows to left and right, and "Cancel."

How do I get to where one enters the PCF specifications as per your outline below? I am using TC2000 v12.2.4542.22164.

Thank you,

/* Phil */

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:35:00 PM

Worden Trainer

Click on the Custom PCF % True Indicator and select Edit to change its settings.

Adding Indicators
Customizing Indicators

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Bludog
Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:47:09 PM

As per usual, Bruce, you are always accurate, prompt, and friendly. Thanks!

/* Phil */

jsapitro
Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:13:02 PM

Bruce, I saved the new formula that you taught me.  How do I find it again?  Where is it saved?

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 12:07:05 PM

Worden Trainer

Since I don't know what you saved, I cannot say for sure where it is saved.

If you clicked on the Custom PCF % True Indicator and selected Save this indicator..., you will find it under Add Indicator | My Indicators at the top of the chart or Indicators | My Indicators along the left hand side of the chart.

If you clicked on the Custom PCF % True Indicator and select Create Scan Condition, created your Condition and then chose Save Condition Library, you will will find it under Conditions | My Conditions along the left hand side of the chart.

If you clicked on Conditions | New Condition Formula (or Indicators | New Indicator Formula) along the left hand side of the chart and then entered the Condition Formula there, you will find it under Conditions | My Conditions (Formulas) along the left hand side of the chart.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles