Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Scan Question (custom formula?) Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
stephencardillo
Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 1:58:10 PM

Can you scan your watchlist for the following criteria?

1.  Price of stock on hourly hitting the 200ema?

2.  Hourly macd 12,26,9 crosses up or down the expontential moving average of 9?

3.   Candle touch or candle cross of the 200 EMA on the 1 minute chart?

I looked for the above scans in the pre-loaded list but didn't find anything.  Is there a formula for this I can add as a custom scan?

Thank you,

Steve
stephencardillo
Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 2:24:30 PM

Just to clarify that was three seperate scans that I wanted to do on my watchlist.  I don't want the scan to have to have all of these conditions be true to produce a result.  Hope that makes sense.

Steve

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 2:36:46 PM

Worden Trainer

Personal Criteria Formulas and EasyScans in TC2000 version 7 are always Daily (this question was asked in the Ask a Trainer - TC2000 version 7 forum).

If you are using TC2000 version 12.1 Platinum, you can create intraday Conditions which could be used in an EasyScan.

Price is almost never going to be exactly equal to its 200-Period Exponential Moving Average. You can create a Condition Formula for this, but it is almost never going to return true.

C = XAVGC200

It is possible to create a Condition Formula for an Exponential MACD 12,26 crossing up through its own 9-Period Exponential Moving Average:

Understanding MACD

XAVGC12 - XAVGC26 > XAVG(XAVGC12,9) - XAVG(XAVGC26,9) AND XAVGC12.1 - XAVGC26.1 <= XAVG(XAVGC12.1,9) - XAVG(XAVGC26.1,9)

But it is much more efficient in TC2000 version 12.1 to add the MACD to the chart and then click on it and select Create Scan Condition.

A Condition Formula for Price crossing through the 200-Period Exponential Moving Average or the candle touching the 200-Period Exponential Moving Average could be written as:

SGN(C - XAVGC200) <> SGN(C1 - XAVGC200.1) OR (L <= XAVGC200 AND XAVGC200 <= H)

This may be a better option than the formula given for your first condition as well.

In all cases, you can set the Time Frame of the Condition Formula in TC2000 version 12.1 using the Time Frame drop-down when creating or editing the Condition Formula. You can usually change the Time Frame when utilizing the Condition Formula as well. For example, you can click on a Condition Formula in an EasyScan to adjust its Time Frame.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
stephencardillo
Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 3:14:40 PM

Are easy scans now only for platinum members?  I can't be certain but I thought I could access them as a gold member prior to the update. 

Steve

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 3:23:24 PM

Worden Trainer

EasyScans are available to both Gold and Platinum members. Intraday EasyScans and Live Results are only available to Platinum members.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
stephencardillo
Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 3:36:29 PM

Thank you.  Last question of the day regarding scans.  Since I am working all day I am missing trade opportunities left and right.  I want to set up an alert on any stock in my watchlist that has the following criteria as an example:

-Stoch RSI Overbought (daily)

-Stoch RSI crossed down (daily)

-MACD crossed down (hourly)

I know I can right click on the condition and add an alert but is there a way to create an alert that will adhere to multiple conditions?

Steve

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 4:21:49 PM

Worden Trainer

We can't do this currently.

You would need to create a Condition Formula incorporating all three requirements.

It would be possible to create a Condition Formula for the Hourly MACD crossdown in TC2000 version 12.1 Platinum (but not in Gold) if all of the MACD settings were supplied and you indicated what was crossing down what.

I cannot create or post formulas for Stochastics RSI which are short and quick enough to be practical however.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles