Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

technical analysis and time frames Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
beld
Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 1:24:23 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

It's really strange that I have not gotten a good answer to this question, but, I forgot to ask YOU.

I use technicals but I want to use it for longer term trading insteady of short term trading.  In other words,  I would prefer to hold a position several months rather than a week.

Does technical analysis work in all time frames and how would you suggest I structure it?

thanks for your help.  I know I can look at the chart in different time frames but what would make the differnce in determining the length of the move..

Beth
Bill Baker
Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 4:19:40 PM
Well you can arrange it anyway you like - I would say the standard is daily, weekly, and montly with many variations in between.

Determining the length of the move wil be in the particular time frame chart you are looking at and how the patterns or indicators evolve.

It is important that if you enter a trade in a particular time frame you make your trade decisions base on the same time frame - whick for most folks is difficult mostly if you trade from a longer time frame and daily look at smaller time frames.

The most important thing is to remember contrary to what you are usually told:
The longer the time frame the more risk you take.