Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

create a custom indicator based on heiken ashi numbers Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kayfam
Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:34:43 PM
i am using the heiken ashi plot syle. now i would like to build an indicator that i could plot underneath the heiken ashi. the indicator would be (heiken ashi close minus heiken ashi open) and the 3 period simple moving average of that difference (SMA 3). can you help me figure out how to do this? thank you.
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:40:26 PM

Worden Trainer

So an oscillator representing the Close minus the Open of TC2000 version 12's Heiken-Ashi candles would be:

(O + H + L + C) / 4 - (XAVGO3.1 + XAVGH3.1 + XAVGL3.1 + XAVGC3.1) / 4

You could use the formula a Custom PCF Indicator and then add a 3-Period Simple Moving Average to it.

haDelta
PCF Formula Descriptions

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
kayfam
Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:14:41 PM
Bruce, i'm not making sense of any of this. example:  i'm looking at the mutual fund symbol RYKAX, weekly heiken ashi candles. for Tues 10/25 TC2000 gives me an HA open of 33.55 and a close of HA 35.40. Therefore that difference (also called HA Delta) would be 1.85. First i tried the simple indicator c-o. that works fine on a regular chart. but when i apply it to the HA chart it gives me -1.15. Then i tried your indicator which doesn't make sense to me and it gives me .69. What's going on?
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:48:15 PM

Worden Trainer

Please try the following instead (adjusted in the original response as well):

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
JadeScorpion
Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:09:01 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Based on the thread conversations below, I have created the ha Delta indicator with a 3 period sma and plotted in a separate pane below the Heiken-Ashi modified candle plot.

Can someone confirm that the program recognizes that the ha Delta pcf formula is referring to the Heiken-Ashi values for its calculation and plot?

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 9:16:29 AM

Worden Trainer

Yes, the formula is using referencing the Heiken-Ashi candles. Not because the Custom PCF Indicator is actually using the OHLC values of the Heiken-Ashi candles for its OHLC values but because the formula is calculating the values being displayed by the Heiken-Ashi candles from the actual OHLC prices.

A formula for the Open of TC2000 version 12's Heiken-Ashi candles would be:

(XAVGO3.1 + XAVGH3.1 + XAVGL3.1 + XAVGC3.1) / 4

A formula for the High of TC2000 version 12.4's Heiken-Ashi candles would be:

(H + (XAVGO3.1 + XAVGH3.1 + XAVGL3.1 + XAVGC3.1) / 4 + ABS(H - (XAVGO3.1 + XAVGH3.1 + XAVGL3.1 + XAVGC3.1) / 4)) / 2

A formula for the Low of TC2000 version 12.4's Heiken-Ashi candles would be:

(L + (XAVGO3.1 + XAVGH3.1 + XAVGL3.1 + XAVGC3.1) / 4 - ABS(L - (XAVGO3.1 + XAVGH3.1 + XAVGL3.1 + XAVGC3.1) / 4)) / 2

A formula for the Close of TC2000 version 12.4's Heiken-Ashi candles would be:

(O + H + L + C) / 4

So an oscillator representing the Close minus the Open of TC2000 version 12.4's Heiken-Ashi candles would be:

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
JadeScorpion
Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 3:18:54 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Bruce.

JadeScorpion
Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:06:24 PM

Bruce, what is the process for plotting Heiken-Ashi modified candles and standard candlesticks on the same chart in different panes?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica_R
Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 10:46:56 AM

Worden Staff

Hi JadeScorpion,

First, you would need to add a new indicator to your chart. I would suggest adding the plot for the same symbol you are looking at. For example, if you have the symbol for AAPL on your chart, add a new indicator for AAPL. This will plot it on the same chart but in a new pane.

Now, click the indicator label in the first pane and select Edit. Change the plot style and set it to Heiken-Ashi.  Next, click the indicator label in the second pane and select Edit. Change the plot style and set it Candlestick.

*You will need to make sure you set the plot style in the first pane to Heiken-Ashi. There is a  known bug where Heiken-Ashi candles only plot correctly in the first pane. 

I would also suggest setting the second pane to plot based on the Main Chart Symbol. Click the indicator label in the second pane and select Edit. Select "Main Chart Symbol" and then OK.

This way, when you change the symbol you are looking at, the second pane will change with the chart.