Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Which should I have ... TC2000 V12 or StockFinder? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
ebarus
Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:44:32 PM
TC2000 V12   vs.   StockFinder
diceman
Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:54:05 PM
It would all depend on what you do.

StockFinder is better for custom/personal type stuff.
(it has a custom programming language)

V12 is fine for “normal” type trading.
(standard style charts and indicators)

V12 is on the cloud and will be less computer intensive.

Thanks
diceman

ebarus
Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:46:14 PM
Thanks, diceman.  Does StockFinder have other features of V12  like multiple Workspaces and Desktops?  Sorting, scanning, filtering capabilities?  Would you say that StockFinder is a more sophisticated version of TC2000?  Can I assume that you only need TC2000 OR StockFinder once you find out which suits you best?
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:08:13 AM

Worden Trainer

StockFinder 5 does not have the Workspace/Desktop structure of TC2000 version 12. It has a single Layout available at a time. The Layouts in StockFinder 5 have a similar structure to the Workspaces in TC2000 version 12.

StockFinder's sorting and scanning are similar to those in TC2000 version 12. I am not sure I would say StockFinder 5 is more sophisticated than TC2000 version 12, but it is probably more versatile. The RealCode programming language allows you to a lot of things which simply are not possible in TC2000 version 12. That said, TC2000 version 12 runs on our servers instead of your computer and is usually faster than StockFinder 5.

The products have different advantages, but significant overlap. I use both, but you can easily get away with using either product on its own. One note is that the StockFinder 5.1 beta is currently planned as being the final version of StockFinder. The focus is on TC2000 going forward. The plan is for TC2000 to have the best features of both StockFinder and TeleChart 2007.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
diceman
Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:50:42 AM
QUOTE (ebarus)
Thanks, diceman.  Does StockFinder have other features of V12  like multiple Workspaces and Desktops?  Sorting, scanning, filtering capabilities?  Would you say that StockFinder is a more sophisticated version of TC2000?  Can I assume that you only need TC2000 OR StockFinder once you find out which suits you best?

My main use has been TC2007, simply because it was around before the others.
Im sure once you find what you like, only one would be needed.

Thanks
diceman
Putt4Dough
Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:18:56 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
One note is that the StockFinder 5.1 beta is currently planned as being the final version of StockFinder. The focus is on TC2000 going forward. The plan is for TC2000 to have the best features of both StockFinder and TeleChart 2007.

Just my opinion, of course, but RealCode is THE best feature of StockFinder not yet in TC2000, so let's move it up the "Honey Do" list, shall we?

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 8:20:00 AM

Worden Trainer

I would like nothing better than to have RealCode in TC2000. That said, I have serious doubts that it will make it into TC2000 unless a version is developed that would run at least the RealCode locally instead of on our servers. I could be wrong, but I don't see us allowing arbitrary RealCode to run serverside.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Putt4Dough
Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 8:50:02 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
I would like nothing better than to have RealCode in TC2000. That said, I have serious doubts that it will make it into TC2000 unless a version is developed that would run at least the RealCode locally instead of on our servers. I could be wrong, but I don't see us allowing arbitrary RealCode to run serverside.

Yeah Bruce, I know. <sigh>

Being a Software Engineer, I know all about server-side versus client-side issues, and the hazards of allowing "arbitrary" RealCode loose on a Worden server. A guy can dream! But no worries, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not claiming to be the second coming of Welles Wilder, but technicians like Wilder, Bollinger, and DeMark got to where they are because they looked around at what was available, and decided they could do better. It would be nice to at least have that option in TC2000, because that would truly make it a gamechanger (it already is in some respects).

I've probably mentioned this before, but I'm currently using TC2000 Platinum for my intraday stuff, but still holding on to StockFinder 5.1 Gold for my end of day stuff since it looks like it's the last viable son in the family line.

So far my daytrading trading plan don't require any RealCode, but at some point I may have to cut back at the old country club or the domestic help to add a subscription to another service.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go fire one of the maids ...

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 8:58:01 AM

Worden Trainer

For what it is worth, getting RealCode into TC2000 in some fashion is something I have pushed for personally.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Putt4Dough
Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 9:21:27 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
For what it is worth, getting RealCode into TC2000 in some fashion is something I have pushed for personally.

That's why you're THE Man, Bruce ... great minds think alike!

ctfrombt
Posted : Monday, October 3, 2011 2:33:17 PM
For what it is worth the backtesting capabilities coupled with the real code make SF a stand out. I'll bet 99% of the users of TA cannot produce reliable backtesting data to validate their assertions in a statistically rigorous way. The lack of discussion on this site of backtesting reflects this. I spend a lot of time using SF to verify claims being made by people and very few stand up.  I sure hope some form of backtesting is included in TC2000.
mojodallas
Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 11:19:16 PM
I too hope that real code comes over.  I used to use AmiBroker, but, just decided to move my systems that I had backtested with it over to TC2000.  I sure would like to see this availble, so, I could leave AmiBroker behind.  I also can understand not wanting to run it on the cloud.  I don't want to invest a lot of time or effort if SF with learning a new language if it is a on a product that is end of life. 
bernystock
Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 1:13:16 PM

Gold Customer Gold Customer

RealCode is one problem in TC2000-Stockfinder comparison. Another problem is the huge difference in the number of candles each system can handle.TC2000 is still limited to 500 candles. Compared to Stockfinder capability of 5000 candles (10x more) TC2000 is still ridiculus from this point of view and is very limiting in indicators developments for this reason. My fear is that Worden Brothers. is developing a generic product for the cloud without the necessary capability shown with Stockfinder.
bernystock
Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 2:27:12 AM

Gold Customer Gold Customer

In addition to what I said last Dec 03, 2011 Stockfinder has also another major advantage: you can write something different on each time frame without seeing it in the other time frames. If TC2000 offers this possibility please tell me how to get this setting. But if  I am right please add this to the wishings list. Thanks.
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 8:21:26 AM

Worden Trainer

You are correct. It is not currently possible to plot indicators in multiple Time Frames simultaneously in the same chart in TC2000.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles