Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Using TC2005 data with 3d party products Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
netmgr
Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2005 12:06:28 AM
Folks:

How easy/difficult would it be to use the data supplied by TC2000 (C:\Program Files\TeleChart\User\MetaStock\) exported into a Metastock format with some 3d party packages, of which there are a few?

Some examples might be Metastock EOD, Candlestick Forecaster, Fibonacci Trader, etc., etc.

Seems to me the data mined by TC2000 could (and should) be used as a resource for further detailed explorations.

If you have any experience doing that, I'd appreciate your comments. Without such hands-on experience as of now, I'm a bit taken aback by the names of the data files in the exported ...User/Metastock/folder

Thank you in advance.
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2005 8:22:23 AM

Worden Trainer

Any program that reads MetaStock format can read the TeleChart export. Many third party softwares now read TeleChart directly.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Kuf
Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2005 10:38:29 AM

Administration

TeleChart also provides an API for developers (TCDK) to read the data directly (no need to export). Some 3rd parties use this for reading our data. It is up to the 3rd party vendor to implement the development kit.

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
Chief Software Engineer - Worden Brothers Inc.
Try/Catch - My RealCode Blog
danclark
Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2005 3:28:17 PM
netmgr,

I use TC2005 and AmiBroker software with the TC database providing data for both.

AmiBroker is somewhat like MetaStock with some heavy back-testing capabilities. Many AmiBroker users are ex-Metastock users.

I just started using AmiBroker, but I like it a lot in combination with TC2005. They are both good packages, but have different strengths. The combo is excellent, IMO.

One major benefit of AmiBroker is that it reads data directly from the TC2005 database. No Export/Import is required. Just run TC2005 each night and update your TC data. Then open AmiBroker and use the TC data.

And, it uses the native TC Industries and Sectors (which is a biggie for me). When you first install AmiBroker and set it to use TC2005 data, you click a button that says something like "Retrieve TC Industries and Sectors". It runs for about 10 seconds and from then on AmiBroker uses the TC categorizations.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan.
netmgr
Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2005 9:09:20 PM
Dan,

Thanks to you and all who replied. Your positive experience nudged me off my butt, and I setup OmniTrader to use data directly from TC2005 in no time.

It worked like a charm.