Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: netmgr
About
User Name: netmgr
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 39
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Mutual Funds - Need a strategy for tracking
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:31:13 AM
QUOTE (diceman)
I have the Telechart Mutual funds program. I typically
update over the week-end. Run my sorts and place any order
changes necessary for Monday morning.

Diceman,

How is "Telechart Mutual funds program" different from Telechart2007?

-- Sounds like something I haven't used.

I'm interested in eyeballing Mutual Fund charts.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Topic: News alert for FRPT on TcNet
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2007 10:37:11 AM
I received two e-mails today and yesterday from Alerts@stockscope.com stating "New Article for FRPT on TCNet."

I tried to "Search" TcNet, and didn't find any.

FRPT, if you're curious, or "Force Protection" makes indistructable vehicles impervious to mines and antitank missiles for the US military in Iraq.
Topic: Downloading TCV3 Data
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:52:17 PM
Thank you, Doug.

I think the problem lies with MetaStock Downloader. I noticed that only some tickers in my rather large watch list converted (upon the above-described "second" and "successful" attempt), specifically those in the beginning of the list. It appears as if the 250 symbol limit is imposed by Metastock even on the conversion from the TCV3 data. So, in reality it was not 'successful" and failed just as much as the first attempt.

Looks like I would be able to bypass this problem using ASCII data, which I'm doing right now. I'm creating multiple ASCII files, a file per ticker. The MS Downloadter seems to be convreting them to MS just fine, at least it did so for my A*.TXT files. We'll see how it goes.

Has anyone any experience with using one big ASCII file?

Thanks.
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 9:15:20 PM
I repeated the procedure at 9 P.M., successfuly this time.

Does it mean that TC Servers update the data sometime after 7 P.M.? Or, does it mean I made some kind of a mistake downloading the stuff the first time around?

I feel I did it now exactly the same way as before.
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 8:38:09 PM
I downloaded the TCV3 data around 7:10 P.M., then used the Metastock downloader to convert the TCV3 data, so I could look at some daily charts.

What Metastock showed me was that the latest bar was as of 17-Mar-2006.
(I also used the above procedure this past weekend.)

Could it be that TC2005 Db is not updated before 7 P.M. ?

When can I use the daily data at the earliest?

Thank you.
Topic: Are $TICK and $TRIN delayed or RT ?
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:17:22 PM
For a Platinum subscription,

1) Is there a delay in the display of values of these Indeces ($TICK, $TRIN)?

2) is there a delay in the display of other Indeces?

3) is there a way to plug the values into an Excel spreadsheet (using an API)?

4) is there a specifically Excel-styled API, such as DDE?

5) Are there programming examples (snippets of code) accomplishing commonly used tasks?

Thank you.

Topic: The Meaning of Some Indeces and How to Display Their Components
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 7:54:51 PM
I am pleasantly surprised to find on TC 2005 certain Indeces, which really represent major economic variables, such as continuous prices of oil (or gold) futures contracts. It used to take me a major effort to build those.

I am still very new to TC 2005 and may ask naive, but not-easy-to-answer questions. Hopefully, you'd be able to research/answer them or give me pointers to literature of Internet resources.

Here's a hanful of questions on certain Indeces:

1a) What is the "physical" meaning of MNX-X CBOE Mini-NDX; 1b) How can it be used?

2a) What is the "physical" meaning of XSP-X S&P 500 Mini-SPX Options Index? 2b) How can it be used in technical analysis?

3a) What is the "physical" meaning of SVX-X? S&P 500 Barra Value. 2b) How can it be used in technical analysis?

4) Is there a way to display a list of companies out of which a given Index is comprized? Let's look at RXH-X and MLO-X for example.

Thank you.

Topic: Erasing a trendline
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 5:20:07 PM
Thank you.

Topic: McClennan Oscillator on TC 2005
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2006 10:19:26 PM
Here's a summary of how this broad market tool may be used. I'm posting it here to remind myself in the future, and possibly help out others interested in the "top-down" or broad market analysis.

BROAD MARKET INDICATORS IN GENERAL
Market Breadth Indicators use such data as the number of Advancing and Declining issues to develop “indications” of the market momentum. They are used to evaluate the direction of the whole markets, or broad market Indices, such as the NYSE Index or the S&P 500. “A rising tide raises all ships” may be applied to an individual stock, but that’s as far as a broad market indicator is used – to gauge the Market, not any individual stock or even mutual fund. Then, if you expect the market to rise, and your portfolio has a beta of, say, 1.5, you may expect your portfolio to outdo the market by a factor of 1.5. If you expect the market to fall, you may wish to ease on those volatile stocks in your portfolio (a tactical move known “cash is king right now.”)

McCLELLAN OSCILLATOR
The McClennan Oscillator is a broad market indicator showing “oversold”, “overbought” areas and giving us “warning shots” of the market's ascending/descending into these extremes. It also gives BUY and SELL indications, when in crosses the Zero Line upwards or downwards.

Thankfully, the TC2005 plots the McClennan Oscillator in its Indexes watch list. The symbol is T2106. Today, Friday, March 10, 2006, I plotted it together with the NYSE Index, to look for clues as to the market’s whereabouts and direction. As it shows, the market is in the “oversold” territory (the Oscillator near –150), and the T2106 is curving up, which is slightly bullish. Yet, it may remain in, and re-visit in force, the oversold area. In other words, it is not giving us currently any Buy or Sell short-term signals, even though mid-term the market should climb out of the currently moderately oversold condition. It may also climax first, causing some severe pain to the followers of aggressively long strategies.

The McClellan Oscillator is an intermediate-term indicator, but it can also be used for shorter-term timing when it bottoms in oversold territory – lower than ( -100 ). Here are some of its most important properties and indications:

1)When the McClellan Oscillator moves below the Zero Line – a SELL (or BEARISH ) Signal is rendered;

2)When the McClellan Oscillator moves above the Zero Line – a BUY Signal is rendered; however, these are general guidelines, not carved in stone; these rules of thumb do not guarantee to result in profitable trading;

3) Sherman McClennan said that Oscillator readings approaching the negative areas of (– 125) to (– 130) may be a bearish “warning shot.” The subsequent deep negative readings do not have the same “warning shot” implications. They’re the fulfillment of the original “warning shot.”
4) In most cases, it is not the numerical value of the McClennan Oscillator, rather the path of the oscillator that is important.
5) When the Oscillator crosses the zero line and keeps chopping back and forth (oscillating), forming stalactite-like structure on that same side of the zero line – it’s a sign of strength of the direction indicated by the zero-line crossing.

A "typical" McClellan Oscillator pattern series consists of consecutive formation of a Complex Bottom, a Middle Spike, and a Buy Spike. The typical Complex Bottom is a series of oscillations below the Zero Line, while the market is declining. This is followed by a move well above the Zero Line, which begins the formation of the Middle Spike -- a bunch of stalactite-like shapes between the "move above zero" and the "move back below zero." The Middle Spike signals the beginning of an intermediate-term upward move, but it is usually followed by another down move, possibly to lower lows. After the down leg of the Middle Spike has concluded, we can expect a Buy Spike, which as the name implies signals a new up trend in the market. Buy Spikes are normally formed in oversold territory (-80 and below), but rising series of Buy Spikes is also a possibility. While thus-described is a "typical" series of chart formations, they may not appear in the above-specified order . . . or at all. Technical Analysis, after all, is an art form, not a science.

CALCULATION of the McClennan Oscillator
The exact calculation of the McClellan Oscillator is covered below, but it is basically the result of subtracting a 0.05 exponential average (40-day moving average) of advances minus declines from the 0.10 exponential average (20-day moving average).
5% Index:
((Today's Adv minus Decl - Prior Day's 5% Index) * 0.05) + Prior Day's 5% Index = Today's 5% Index
10% Index:
((Today's Adv minus Decl - Prior Day's 10% Index) * 0.10) + Prior Day's 10% Index = Today's 10% Index
(Note: The first time you begin to calculate an exponential average, you must calculate a simple moving average.)
McClellan Oscillator:
Today's 10% Index - Today's 5% Index = Today's McClellan Oscillator
Topic: Erasing a trendline
Posted: Thursday, March 9, 2006 4:44:33 PM
During a trading session I often put in a few trendlines.

Afterwards, I don't know how to get rid off them.

Please, help.