Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

how do I write a PCF that follows short interest ratios? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
handicapchallenged
Posted : Friday, April 29, 2005 5:18:48 PM
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, April 29, 2005 5:23:22 PM

Worden Trainer

You cannot write a PCF that includes the Latest Short Interest Ratio. You can scan for it using the condition in an EasyScan and you can chart the history for the condition on any stock in Worden Studio.

Let me know what you want to do and I can help you get there.

- Craig
Here to Help!
waltmatr
Posted : Friday, August 26, 2005 3:29:39 PM
Just to follow up on this a little,

1. In Worden Studio, when I have a watchlist and sort by LSIR, and I click on a specific symbol, I first get a momentary flash of what looks to be an interesting graph, which then, when the price/ volume information appears, usually ceases to display, or perhaps it is a flatline for a particular value. Or, sometimes it may end in a displayed graph, but this second is very different from the first momentarily flashed one. In the majority of cases, it ends with the no display/ flatline. Does this no display/ flatline mean there is no change. And what is the interesting graph that momentarily displays?

(A similar thing also happens with other sort by criteria, but they usually end up with the second graph display. The second sometimes looks like a highly smoothed version of the first, along the same value scale.)

2. In Telechart, what is the timeframe for, i.e potentially how old is, the number shown for LSIR- daily, weekly, monthly? When there is a second graph in Worden Studio, things seem to change on a weekly basis. (Though the momentarily flashed graph seems to change more frequently.)

3. Is LSIR not PCF-able because the value is not stored in the Telechart database on the user's computer, but it is in the database that Worden Studio taps into?

BTW. this is an oldie, but will we someday get the ability to sort by Media General Industry Group? The sorting by Industry and SubIndustry, which is nice but alphabetical, does pepper related industries and subindustries throughout a watchlist. Sorting by MGIG would more cleanly sort items in major related business fields.

Thanks.

Craig_S
Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2005 5:13:45 PM

Worden Trainer

If you sort by LSIR and click on a ticker you will see the historical condition plotted

Here is a video to check out:

Setting up the indicators used by Peter Worden in his VRSN video on 4/21/2005

All fundamental conditions are updated weekly.

PCFs only have access to price data (O, H, L, C, V). Anything (like indicators) that are derrived from that could be used in a PCF. No fundamentals.

Worden Studio and TeleChart are using their own data sources.

- Craig
Here to Help!
waltmatr
Posted : Monday, August 29, 2005 10:33:50 AM
It would be nice if the WS LSIR graph did work and look like the one in the video.

But like I wrote previously , when I click on a symbol, I get a half-second LSIR graph that looks something like that, but then in most cases, it turns into a flat line when the price data displays. Or, it may turn into a very simplified graph which is different from the half-second flashed one. This happens not only with LSIR, but also with other indicators I've tried as well. All this leaves one unsure as to what to trust.

I can send a screen shot if need be.

The last time my WS updated, it did so to version 1.0.26.1.

Craig_S
Posted : Monday, August 29, 2005 10:43:05 AM

Worden Trainer

There are a few things to check:

1. Float over to SETTINGS on the right side and uncheck the visible option on volume so you have a nice sized window.

2. The "flash" of a graph you are seeing is the unzoomed graph. Try zooming the chart out so you can see a decent amount of data on the screen. The very bottom slide bar controls the zoom.

Let me know how this works for you.

- Craig
Here to Help!
waltmatr
Posted : Monday, August 29, 2005 11:08:18 AM
When I zoom out, and I go though a number of symbols, I see that the flashed graph is a graph of a period between mid-May 2004 and mid-May 2005. Before and since that period are flat lines, with the since flat line probably being the one I previously wrote about, since I only had the last three months being displayed.

Does the "since" flat line mean that there have been no SIR changes in the majority of stocks, even ones that were pretty active in the May 2004-2005 period, since mid-May 2005? Or that detailed SIR data only becomes available three months later? Or that SIR data is not updated since May?

The last chart in the Video would seem to show that LSIR was available to the then present.
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, August 29, 2005 12:32:49 PM

Worden Trainer

Let me check on that. I am seeing no changes since may either.

- Craig
Here to Help!
waltmatr
Posted : Monday, August 29, 2005 3:51:18 PM
Thanks.

Also, can you look into the LSIR provided in Telechart. It seems to be the same value as the flatline May-Present in Studio.

LSIR, if chartable, looks like a pretty useful number. I haven't used it very much in Telechart, because it is a single value with no historical/ patterned display possible (aside from the fact that it may not have been current, so it is just as well that I wasn't using it). I didn't know it was there in Studio until I found this discussion topic. Unfortunately, given that, in Studio, we need to either input specific symbols, or use Industry/ Group watchlists, i.e. we cannot use our own watchlists, it does lack in ease of use/ usefulness. It might be helpful to make it chartable in Telechart. Which brings this back to the original poster's question.
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2005 9:22:39 AM

Worden Trainer

We contacted the vendor providing our LSIR data (for both programs). There was a problem and they committed to fixing it in time for our next fundamental update on Saturday.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

- Craig
Here to Help!