Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Historical Market Capitalization Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
goldammerr
Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:10:30 PM
How can I obtain in Stockfinder 5 a listing of stocks with market capitalization greater than a certain dollar amount on a given date (say, 10 years ago), considering the shares outstanding and price at that date? Thanks
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:55:14 PM

Worden Trainer

There's probably a more efficient way to do this (and this will only work in StockFinder 5 Platinum), but please try replacing everything below the Inherits line in the Class tab of the RealCode Editor of a RealCode Condition with the following (you should be able to adjust the CapDate and MinCap later by editing the Condition):

StockFinder 5.0 READ THIS FIRST
StockFinder 5.0 Changes from 4.0 - UPDATED
StockFinder 5.0 Build 20 - End of Beta

Sub New
  AutoLoop = False
  '# CapDate = UserInput.Date = "3/6/2009"
  '# MinCap = UserInput.Integer = 100000000
  '# Cumulative
  '# Cap = indicator.Library.Capitalization
 End Sub
 Public Overrides Sub CallUserCode()
  Dim i As Integer = Cap.Line.Count - 1
  While i > 0 AndAlso Cap.Line.DateValue(i) > CapDate
   i -= 1
  End While
  If Cap.Line.DateValue(i) <= CapDate Then
   If Cap.Line.Value(i) >= MinCap Then
    AddToOutput(Cap.Line.DateValue(Cap.Line.Count - 1), True)
   Else
    AddToOutput(Cap.Line.DateValue(Cap.Line.Count - 1), False)
   End If
  End If
 End Sub
End Class

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
goldammerr
Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:37:08 PM
Thank you, Bruce, I'll try that.
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:47:11 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
goldammerr
Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:35:21 PM
I'm trying to run a filter against all Nasdaq stocks above a certain capitalization level 10 years ago. It has been working for quite a while, probably more than one hour. Is this to be expected?
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 8:55:04 AM

Worden Trainer

It's an incredibly inefficient algorithm and I haven't tried it on large WatchLists or using very old data. It would not surprise me if it took a fairly long time.

It loops from the most recent data backwards until it finds the index for the date in question. It then makes the comparison and returns True or False if the data exists. It needs to do this loop for every symbol since the amount of data available for a symbol (and thus the index for that date and even the availability of the data) varies from symbol to symbol.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
goldammerr
Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 9:46:43 AM
ok, I understand. I'll let run for a while and see what happens. On another note, the historic capitalization number is obtained from the actual number of shares outstanding at the desired date, say, in my example case, 31 march 2000, times the closing price at the same date, correct?
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, June 4, 2010 9:52:40 AM

Worden Trainer

The Capitalization number is only updated once a week on Saturday, but yes, that's how the calculation is done.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
goldammerr
Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:44:18 PM
Bruce,I has not really worked as discussed. Maybe there's a easier way: Am I able to perform a filter by market capitalization (say, > 2,500,000,000) for a given daye, say, Jan-1-1998? I tried tweaking filters and sorts, but I'm not able to have a resulting list that will show me symbol, name, market cap.In addition, if I get such a list, is it possible to generate a TXT symbol list of the results similar to the data export function in Telechart?thanks,r.
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:00:48 PM

Worden Trainer

I am sorry the suggested RealCode did not meet your needs, but I am not a programmer. I do not have any other suggestions as to how you might retrieve these Values by date (the date part is the slow and complicated part).

If you using an offset from the current Value in weeks would work for you, I have a much simpler suggestion.

- Add the Capitalization Indicator to the Chart.
- Add a 1-Period Moving Average Indicator to the Capitalization Indicator (the included MA will not work).
- You can then adjust the Offset (in Weeks) of the 1-Period Moving Average to get past Values.

Dragging and Dropping the Moving Average to the WatchList and selecting Sort will allow you to use it to Sort the WatchList.

You can just select the desired symbols (say the top 100 symbols) and then Copy and Paste them to a text file to get the list of symbols (in order even) into a text file.

Normally you would be able to select File | Export Data to export the data as well, but Capitalization is not exportable from StockFinder due to licensing restrictions from our vendor.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
goldammerr
Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:03:37 PM
Thanks. What about obtaining the market cap figures for a given stock in previous years, say, the last 10 years? How do I do that?
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:07:24 PM

Worden Trainer

If you just add Capitalization as an Indicator, you can scroll back to the desired date and select the Period key (.) on your keyboard twice to bring up the Pointer Mode Data Box to view view the Values of all of the Indicators on the Chart.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles