Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Index of A Collection Of Stocks Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Mike From Philly
Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 7:37:43 AM
Is it possible to take a list of stocks and create my own mini-ETF that could be listed on a watchlist and charted like a normal ETF/stock?   I looked at the Custom Index but that didn't seem to work for me.  Is there an alternative?

Regards, 
Mike 

PS I'm looking forward to attending the ATL training!!

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 8:39:42 AM

Worden Trainer

If creating a Custom Index didn't work for you (it works for me), then no, I really don't have an alternative. What is it doing that doesn't work for you?

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
bobre1
Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 9:46:03 AM
Mike - what didn't work?  Are you getting some sort of error, or just not the results you are expecting?

Like Bruce said, it should work.

You might try creating a watchlist of one symbol and create a market indicator from that.  Then add another symbol and see if the results are what you expect.

Bob
Mike From Philly
Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:35:10 AM
I can create the index fine.   I having a hard time fitting it into my routine.   Let me try to explain.

I have a market watch list of various indexes and ETF.   I go through that list each night and look at trends, gains, chart condition, etc., in particular the 1 day and 5 week % change,    Here is what my watchlist looks like:

http://screencast.com/t/YjU4MDFiY

My goal is to have my custom indexes appear and function like one of the pre-loaded ETF's.   The custom indexes are indicators so when they come over to a watch list, they are a column.  I'm trying to get it to be a row as if it was a stock.

I hope that makes sense although, it might not be possible.
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 9:30:04 AM

Worden Trainer

Mike From Philly,
I do not know of a way to create a Custom Index that would act like a symbol instead of like an Indicator.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Mike From Philly
Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 8:29:00 PM
Bummer.   Thanks for the answer. 
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:51:48 AM

Worden Trainer

Mike From Philly,
You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jz94117
Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:18:51 PM
OK, Bruce. I admit I haven't been keeping up with this forum. How do I create a Custom Index from my 5 market leaders, AAPL, GOOG, INTC, JWN, & WFR? Secondly, I keep reading various statistics in the financial press, like "the last time the Dow was down 6 days in a row was X months ago" or "the last time the NYSE dropped 10% in 5 days was in 200__". Is it possible to calculate this stuff in Stockfinder? Finally, I read in a blog I follow about the S&P 500 5-Day Average Hi/Lo Spread being at a 2 yr. high. In my inept fashion, I created the following real code but it doesn't work: plot = [Price.High - Price.Low].MovingAverage(5) so then I tried this: plot = [(Price.high - Price.low) + (Price(1).high - Price(1).low) + (Price(2).high - Price(2).low) + (Price(3).high - Price(3).low) + (Price(4).high - Price(4).low)] / 5 Well, that doesn't work either. Can you give me a hand here? Jim in SF (who is not much of a programmer)
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:45:37 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (jz94117)
How do I create a Custom Index from my 5 market leaders, AAPL, GOOG, INTC, JWN, & WFR?

If you create a WatchList with those five symbols in it, you can create an average of the symbols in the WatchList by creating a Market Indicator. Just right-click on Price History and select Create Market Indicator and follow the prompts.

Maintaining Personal WatchLists
Custom Market Indicators

QUOTE (jz94117)
Secondly, I keep reading various statistics in the financial press, like "the last time the Dow was down 6 days in a row was X months ago" or "the last time the NYSE dropped 10% in 5 days was in 200__". Is it possible to calculate this stuff in Stockfinder?

Yes, it is possible. You have to decide what you want to identify first. Then you need to determine a method.

For example, to find out the list time the DJ-30 was down six days in a row, you could create a RealCode Indicator counting how many days in a row a symbol is down and then look at a chart for the DJ-30 symbol:

RealCode for Real People: Indicators

Static Count As Integer
If isFirstBar Then
    Count = 0
Else If Price.NetChange < 0 Then
    Count += 1
Else
    Count = 0
End If
Plot = Count

Or you could right-click on Price and select Create Condition | Net Change, Less Than: 0, Change Period: 1, Passing 6 of Last 6 Bars.

Creating Conditions

To get a Condition that only returns True when Price is down 6-Bars in a row.

QUOTE (jz94117)
Finally, I read in a blog I follow about the S&P 500 5-Day Average Hi/Lo Spread being at a 2 yr. high. In my inept fashion, I created the following real code but it doesn't work: plot = [Price.High - Price.Low].MovingAverage(5) so then I tried this: plot = [(Price.high - Price.low) + (Price(1).high - Price(1).low) + (Price(2).high - Price(2).low) + (Price(3).high - Price(3).low) + (Price(4).high - Price(4).low)] / 5 Well, that doesn't work either. Can you give me a hand here?

Please try the following:

Plot = Price.AVGH(5) - Price.AVGL(5)

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jz94117
Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:44:05 PM
Bruce,

You have a knack for making everything seem so easy and seamless.  Thank you.

Jim.
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:08:31 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles