Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Best Practices Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
rdlsmith
Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:56:12 PM
Is it okay to open up several watch lists and for those watch lists to have their own set of filters?

SF4 is very slow and switching between strategies takes too long.  I decided to create several watchlists.  I started with just three.  The first two have "all US Stocks" and then I apply filters.   I have several charts.  Five or so.  

Anyway, my filter on one watch list brought down the stock count to 11.  I copy them, go to an empty watch list with zero filters and paste.  So doing causes the other watch lists to loose their filters.   In the Filter field it actually says No Filters but when you look, they are still selected.  Uncheck and re-check them, and the filter starts running and 10 minutes or so later you have the results.

It's frustrating.  

Now, my machine is under powered at the moment.  I have ordered a new one because of SF.  Maybe more RAM and processor power will make the difference.  Maybe then I won't care because the filter won't take so long.  Is that what you guys experience?   What is the best practice for jumping between different straegies? 

For example lets say I have a combo rule for TSV Positive Divergence and some other strategy.  Switching between the two causes a re-calc.  

So do you guys keep different filters applied to different lists active at the same time or do you just apply one set of filters on one watch list and change at will because your machines are fast enough to handle it?

I've tried using different layouts but that's even worse because of the time is takes the layout to load and even then the watch lists all have to be recalculated.

Is it okay to open up several watch lists and for those watch lists to have their own set of filters?

SF4 is very slow and switching between strategies takes too long.  I decided to create several watchlists.  I started with just three.  The first two have "all US Stocks" and then I apply filters.   I have several charts.  Five or so.  

Anyway, my filter on one watch list brought down the stock count to 11.  I copy them, go to an empty watch list with zero filters and paste.  So doing causes the other watch lists to loose their filters.   In the Filter field it actually says No Filters but when you look, they are still selected.  Uncheck and re-check them, and the filter starts running and 10 minutes or so later you have the results.

It's frustrating.  

Now, my machine is under powered at the moment.  I have ordered a new one because of SF.  Maybe more RAM and processor power will make the difference.  Maybe then I won't care because the filter won't take so long.  Is that what you guys experience?   What is the best practice for jumping between different straegies? 

For example lets say I have a combo rule for TSV Positive Divergence and some other strategy.  Switching between the two causes a re-calc.  

So do you guys keep different filters applied to different lists active at the same time or do you just apply one set of filters on one watch list and change at will because your machines are fast enough to handle it?

I've tried using different layouts but that's even worse because of the time is takes the layout to load and even then the watch lists all have to be recalculated.
rdlsmith
Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:57:39 PM

Gees!  I pasted it in twice.  Sorry, I'll post again, ignore the above.

rdlsmith
Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:58:14 PM

It's frustrating.  

rdlsmith
Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:55:33 PM

Update:

I spoke with Dean in your tech support and he was able to re-create the issue.   Maybe the developers can get that corrected.

I just loaded SF5 beta and it seems to work without deleting my filters!  Guess I'll try and use SF5 for now.