Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

re: Retracement to 50 Day SMA Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
curtmilr
Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:31:57 AM
How would I write a PCF that finds stocks that have risen thru their 50 day SMA within the last 60 days, and are now retracing back to near the 50 day SMA? The assumption being that the 50 day SMA will now be support?
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:30:36 PM

Worden Trainer

How do you want to unambiguously define "near the 50 day SMA"? Within a certain dollar value? Within a certain percentage? Something else entirely?

Do you need to be a certain amount (be that value or percent) above the SMA before being near the SMA can be considered "retracing back"?

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
curtmilr
Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:50:00 PM

Bruce,

We can't use absolute Dollar differentials because we don't have the Price of the stock being examined. $1 is 20% of a $5 stock, but is only 1% of a $100 stock. Thus we have to work with percentages.

I would assume a minimum 10% above the upside penetration of the 50 day SMA to be considered a true breakout. The upside thrust could carry well beyond that level in the short term before retracing.

I would consider the retracement "near" to be within 2% of the 50 Day SMA line. Again, it must be "near" enough to be logically construed as a retest of the breakout above the 50 Day SMA.

Sorry that I didn't recognize the need for tighter definitions to my original question(s)!

Curtmilr