Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

finding stocks with a certain chart pattern Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
fantastic4
Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:40:32 PM
Hi

I would like to find stocks with a certain price pattern. this pattern does not have a standard name like head and shoulders, or asecending triangle etc. I guess the best way to explain it is to actually give you some examples of some charts that exhibit this pattern and see if you could help me.

please see the following charts
QCOM (the pattern formation between the 2nd october to the 2nd november), this is kind of a U shaped consolidation formation formed over a period of around 20 days or so.

SAFM (pattern formation between the 6th oct to the 5th november). again this is a kind of like a sidways consolidation shape over a period of around 20 days or so.

HTS (same U shaped consolidation formation  as QCOM) again formed between 2nd october and 2nd november). 

some of the other examples are: (the shape in question has formed in the last 20 days or so, from start of october)

PRA
STST
FELE
MGLN
FRT
NTES

I hope the examples I have given are sufficient to derive a useful PCF from. 
thanks for your help
Jay

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 11:54:09 AM

Worden Trainer

Looks like a U really isn't the sort of objective definition that is required to develop a Rule to identify a particular pattern (although the fact that it has a fixed length of twenty bars is useful).

When I look at many of the symbols mentioned, they don't even look that much like a U to me over the periods mentioned. I tried to think of things that might be True for all of the symbols (like maybe having a certain number of bars at both ends be above a Linear Regression Line while the center is below the Linear Regression Line), but none of them seemed to be True for all of the symbols.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles