Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

MS +OBV using past dates Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
RKreu1
Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 4:36:26 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Please reference my last Email

I initially wanted how write a  PCF comparing MS on 3/20/07 to 3/19/07 in which illistrated the correct way the PCF should be written.  The only thing I did different was to add an OBV function.  You indicated at that time absolute values are only used when comparing a past date t0 the current date'

The PCF that is illusistrated in the previous email is exactly the same format that worked previously.  If it is different, please show the correct format

Thanks 

Roger Kreuscher
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 4:55:56 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (RKreu1)
You indicated at that time absolute values are only used when comparing a past date t0 the current date'

The only time I recall talking about Absolute Values in any previous topics in which you have participated, I said, "A Stochastic should not return negative values, so the absolute value of a Stochastic should be the same as its actual value."

The issue in PFC for absolute value of a stochastic on a past date has nothing to do with Absolute Values. The issue is that the Personal Criteria Formula tries to reference dates going back to early 1998 and that dates this far back appear to be shifted when referenced in PCFs.

Your formula that worked in Ref: my post dated 7/28/09 used recent dates. Your formula that doesn't work in MS + OBV using past dates uses dates that are more than twelve years old.

On another note it is generally better to ask follow-up questions in the original topic and start new topics for unrelated questions. It makes it easier to follow the conversation and helps avoid mis-remembering the questions and answers.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
RKreu1
Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 6:13:33 PM

I believe MS and OBV can have positive and negative values; This seems to be the problem I am having wilth getting accurate true values when seting up a PCF comparing a specific date to another specific date. I belive that plus and minus values are not being considered in the setup you had previously illustrated.

As you indicated in the previous memo, these calculations only are valid going back to 1998

Thanks

Roger Kreuscher
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:04:53 AM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (RKreu1)
I believe MS and OBV can have positive and negative values;

True.

QUOTE (RKreu1)
This seems to be the problem I am having wilth getting accurate true values when seting up a PCF comparing a specific date to another specific date.

The issue with the looking up dates that far back is going to cause the results to be incorrect no matter how the format of the Personal Criteria Formula compares to your actual intent.

QUOTE (RKreu1)
I belive that plus and minus values are not being considered in the setup you had previously illustrated.

I guess that depends on if you want to compare the magnitude of the values or the values themselves. For example, 1 is greater then -6 but the magnitude (or absolute value) of -6 is greater than 1. The formulas as structured would correctly compare the actual values (not the magnitudes or absolute values) if the date lookup going back that far worked correctly.

With that it mind, trying to determine the magnitude of either OBV or MS does not make much sense as both Indicators are Cumulative Indicators where the actual value of the Indicator is meaningless. The Dealing with OBV & MS in PCF's - how to interp their "values" topic covers this issue in more detail.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
RKreu1
Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:15:01 AM

If TSV,MS,RSi and OBV are considered as potential indicators of price and volume movement of a given stock,, then I am only interested in their directional movement, not the magnitude from a specific day compared to the next day. I am trying to use those comparisons to estimate the potential power of a market movement after a buy signal. I use special watchlists to make that evaluation.

I would think that regardless of whether a moving average goes back ten days or one day, the result shoud be the same, but what I am observing random differences on both the plus or minus side.

Roger Kreuscher

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:35:38 AM

Worden Trainer

It's using the older dates that is the issue. If we take the formula from MS + OBV using past dates and adjust it to use the more recent dates from the formula in Ref: my post dated 7/28/09:

MS1.'03/20/07' > MS1.'03/19/07' AND OBV1.'03/20/07' > OBV1.'03/19/07'

I can't find a single symbol where the results are not correct.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
RKreu1
Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:08:09 AM

Thanks

Roger Kreuscher

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:10:19 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.