Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PCF Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
marv73
Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:31:36 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I'm not having much luck with a PCF i would like.  I would like it to show a MAXH about 6 months ago for over a period of approx the last two years. The current price should be approx 20 percent below the 6 month ago high. Thanks
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:25:36 AM

Worden Trainer

Please try the following:

C <= .8 * MAXH504.126

You may wish to review the following:

How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF)
PCF Formula Descriptions
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
marv73
Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:51:35 PM

Thanks Bruce
     I understand the formula you gave me but I don't understand why I'm not getting the charts I should.  I did an all stock scan using that PCF and got quite a few hits(True's) but the first three stocks I looked at weren't what I was looking for.  The first three stocks, SPY,NTRS and IWM showed highs in Oct07, Sept08, and Jul07 respectively vice 6 months ago as the scan would indicate. Of course the 80% close today from the top was also off.  Thanks
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:08:14 AM

Worden Trainer

I misunderstood your request. I thought you simply wanted the current Price to be at least 20% below the two year maxmimum high from about six months ago. I did not realize from you description that you wanted the period of about six months ago to include the maximum high over the entire period as well. The following formula allows for about a month over which this high can occur (overlapping about two weeks each into both the six months and two years):

C <= .8 * MAXH20.116 AND MAXH524.116 = MAXH136

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
marv73
Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:29:22 PM

Sorry about that Bruce
    Maybe I should have worded my request a little differently.  The two year I selected was an arbitrary time period to allow a decent interval for a stock to be trading lower and finally making a high in the last six months. This is the only high I'm concerned about in relationship to the current price. The current price should be in the 75-80% range of that high.
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:55:28 PM

Worden Trainer

You can test for the High of the Bar from exactly 6-months ago being higher than all of the more recent Bars:

H126 > MAXH126

And you can test for the current value being between 75% and 80% of that High of the Bar from exactly 6-months ago:

.75 * H126 <= C AND C <= .8 * H126

This would result in a combined formula of:

H126 > MAXH126 AND .75 * H126 <= C AND C <= .8 * H126

Frankly I doubt this is what you want either as it would not seem to satisfy either "about 6 months ago" or "making a high in the last six months" (although I would personally see these phrases as describing two entirely different things).

To create a Personal Criteria Formula, we need to start with a detailed unambiguous objective definition of what we are trying to find.

What makes the "high" a high?

Must it be higher than what comes before it? If so what's the closest point before it that could be higher than this "high"?

How fuzzy is the time frame over which this "high" can occur? A week? A month? "In the last six months"?

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles