Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

sorting sectors Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
padrum
Posted : Friday, April 1, 2005 8:07:46 PM
I would like to know how to sort sectors so that I can find the ones with the largest percentage of companies moving up in a day, or a week, etc.
Doug_H
Posted : Friday, April 1, 2005 10:05:20 PM

Worden Trainer

You can sort sectors by their composite performance over any time period, but you cannot sort them according to the percentage of their companies that have moved up over a particular time period.

Change your watchlist to Media General Industry Averages, and sort by any criterion you choose.

Here are three training videos that demonstrate various industry analysis tools in the program:

Uncover the stocks driving the strongest industry groups
Using the Industry Menu to analyze stocks relative to their industries and sub-industries
Use Comparison and Relative Strength graphs to compare a stock to the rest of its industry group

- Doug
Teaching Online!
2hands4u
Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:49:22 AM
Doug,
I have watched these three training videos and have a question. Suppose I wanted to do a sector sort to find possible trading opportunitites. I would like to do a historical sort to find out which sectors performed best, say, every April or every 2nd qtr etc. and once I got this info, start seaching for opportunities based on the results of this type of sort. Is this possible in TC2005?
Ken
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:51:46 AM

Worden Trainer

There would be a few methods to do this. I would use the Custom Date Sort on the Media General WatchList.

Here is a video to check out:

Sorting Stocks by their Absolute or Relative Performance

You might also enjoy this video:

Visually Backtesting Specific Symbols

- Craig
Here to Help!
Doug_H
Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:53:30 AM

Worden Trainer

Yes, Ken...it's very easy to do with TeleChart. The best way to communicate the technique to you would be to produce a training video to answer your question. I'll work on that today, and perhaps we can get it posted later today or sometime early tomorrow. If you can hang on for a bit, I think you'll find the video to be very helpful.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
2hands4u
Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:00:50 AM
Thank you!!
You guys are great!
Ken
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:34:15 PM

Worden Trainer

Ken:

As promised, here is a link to a new video I made in response to your question. The example in the video uses "every January" rather than April as you mentioned above, but the technique can be used in a variety of ways, as I explain at the end of the video.

I hope you find this helpful, and that you enjoy using this technique to uncover some interesting sectors and stocks.

Industries With Consistent Performance over Specific Time Periods

- Doug
Teaching Online!
2hands4u
Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:39:42 PM
Thank you Doug. The video is just what I was looking for. Thank you!
Ken
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:42:10 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome, Ken. I'm glad to be of help!

- Doug
Teaching Online!
drkenrich
Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:21:42 PM
Here's another possibility.

Create a new EasyScan titled something like Sectors UP.
Use these criteria:
Media General Index Groups - all
MoneyStream vs Price 3 Month - List Rank above 75
Price % Change 1 Month - List Rank above 75
Volume Surge 5 Day - List Rank above 50

This should get you a final list of about 8 to 15 groups with sector titles you can understand instead of indexes. Now you can go to a watchlist of all stocks and use the Industry Group and Sub-Industry Group criteria to look for particular stocks. Flag all and unflag those you want to review based on their group. Delete the flagged items. Then sort according to any other criteria you want.

The rationalle is to find those groups that have a high inflow of money (MoneyStram) connected with an increasing price, a positive price change better than 75% of the groups, and has a current volume surge to support the price increase.

If you want longer or shorter time elements copy and paste those PCFs into new ones with altered bar counts.

Good Luck
Dr. Ken Rich