Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

MACD Histogram pfc problem Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
JimmyP
Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:34:32 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I copied the pfc "MACD Histogram Crossing from Negative to Positive" 20 40 30 , from "Understanding MACD" 04/01/05, but when I run a scan with that pfc, only 3 of 113 stocks fit the criteria. the other 110 were well into positive territory. I did update before running the scan and I ran it with the MACD Histogram pfc that was also provided in the scan, and without it.
Can you tell me what pfc will actually show stocks that are going from negative to positive.
Thank You
Jim

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:38:41 AM

Worden Trainer

While it seemed somewhat doubtful that the formulas presented in a topic that has been referenced as frequently as Understanding MACD over more than three years would be incorrect, I checked all six formulas this morning just to make sure.

The formulas all seem to work correctly. I actually went through every one of the 70 charts for symbols returned by the MACD Histogram Crossing From Negative to Positive Today that you mentioned and they all matched the the Chart for a MACD with the following settings on a Daily Time Frame:

Short: 20
Long: 40
Period: 30
Average Type: Exponential
Plot MACD as Histogram: Checked

If your settings for the MACD are different (or if it is not a Daily Chart), your chart will not match the Personal Criteria Formula results. I'm not sure that is the issue however (although it could be - mis-matched settings are almost always the cause of this type of issue).

You indicated that 113 stocks were listed as meeting the PCF conditions. I only received 70 results for the same formula when testing against All Items in System using 06/18/2008 Market Close data. You may want to try re-creating the PCF to make sure it was copied and pasted exactly as posted.

You may wish to review the following:

How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF)

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
JimmyP
Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:41:49 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Bruce!
I must be missing something. Here is the pcf copied from my create a pcf box. By itself, it returns 128 charts  (which do not fit the criteria). 
I have MACD in my Chart Templete set at 20 40 30
My Scan is set at All Stocks (7134) and this pcf. Nothing else.
What am I doing wrong?

(XAVGC20 - XAVGC40) > (XAVG(XAVGC30,20) - XAVG(XAVGC40,30)) AND (XAVGC20.1 - XAVGC40.1) < (XAVG(XAVG30.1,20) - XAVG(XAVGC40.1,30))

Thanks again
Jim
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:57:29 AM

Worden Trainer

I cannot say for sure what might be wrong. You may wish to try re-creating your EasyScan. I am using the exact same formula and still getting 70 results for All Items in System (but only 64 results for the All Stocks Watchlist you indicate you are using). I am still updated through last night's Market Close.

On another note, one of the settings you did not mention was the Average Type. A MACD with an Average Type of Simple will be different than a MACD with an Average Type of Exponential.

If this does not resolve the issue, you may want to consider contacting technical support.

All e-mail communication sent to support@worden.com during business hours (Monday through Friday 9AM-11PM and Saturday and Sunday 9AM-3PM ET) should be answered within 20 minutes of arrival.

For an even quicker response to tech support questions, we recommend calling our voice line at (919) 408-0542 (there is no phone support on Sundays, some Market Holidays or after 9PM ET on weekdays).

You can also contact us using Live Chat Support during business hours.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
JimmyP
Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:07:53 AM

Tried again. Went to Create New Easyscan, selected All Stocks, added the pcf as a new condition, it reads 128. My MACD on my template is set at 20 40 30 exponential, plot a histogram, visible. I am using closing prices for 6/18. 
I'll contact support
Thanks again for your quick reply and help.
Jim

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:12:33 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles