Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Excel VBA and TC2005 Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
cguida
Posted : Monday, February 28, 2005 11:29:17 PM
I've just begun experimenting with Excel VBA and TC2005.

The first thing I notice is that eveything has slowed down to a comparative crawl. Even tc2000 routines, like connecting to the the (late bound) TC2000 server takes something like 20 seconds now.

In addition, some TC2000 calls appear not to work correctly -- althouth I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot exactly why. All I can say is that some programs and routines in Excel/TC2000 are giving obviously screwy results since I loaded TC2005. This is un-nerving.

Again, working with TC2005 and Excel, it seems like even simple things like connecting (early bound) to the TC2005 server take forever -- 20 seconds or more. Looping through the StockLists collection is the same -- slow!

As an experiment, I tried to copy the names and contents of type 2 (personal) watchlists onto an Excel spreadsheet. After 20 minutes, the routine was still grinding away, posting about 3 stocks/second onto the spreadsheet. I gave up and pulled the plug on this experiment.

Is anyone esle having this experience, or is it just me doing something wrong?

I hope its just me, because I look forward to working with the new 2005 object model. Any suggestions?

Anyone interested in a continuing discussion of TC2005/Excel VBA techniques? There is alot to learn, and the rewards of getting Excel to work well with TC2005 are certainly worth the effort!

Here's a sample question: StockLists is noted in the documentation as a collection. Normally you can loop through collections with a For Each loop. So far, I haven't been able to get this to work. I have to use For X=1 to SFServ.StockLists.count

Can you get For Each... next Loop to work with the StockLists collection?

Thanks,
Christopher Guida
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, February 28, 2005 11:38:45 PM

Worden Trainer

TeleChart 2005 should not be running slow. There are technical issues involved here that will need to be addressed to the technical support staff. The trainers monitoring these discussion forums are not equipped to handle technical problems here.

The support staff may be reached via email at support@worden.com or by telephone at (919) 408-0542. Hours 9AM-9PM M-F; 9AM-3PM Sat.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
gtarnold
Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2005 12:57:51 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

My experience has been:
- programs I've written using visual basic .net with an early bound TC2000 instance have broken after installing TC2005

- programs rewritten to use the new TC2005 class are several times slower when scanning through TC data than comparable programs written and run pre-TC2005 installation

A few more details in this post:
TCDK, cont'd

Garth
Tanstaafl
Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2005 8:04:45 AM
Rollin Girulat, who is the owner/developer of TC-Companion (removed by Moderator), is working closely with the Worden staff to get the bugs ironed out. Recent releases of TC2005 (subsequent to 6.000) have alternately worked properly then broken the interface ... frankly I am not sure of where it stands now. Part of the problem lies with the changes to the Registry entries, apparently.

I hope this helps somehow.

Jim Dean

cguida
Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2005 8:22:53 PM
Doug, Garth, Jim Dean,

Thanks for your responces.

I'm not sure I'm glad to hear that others have noticed how slow cTC2005 seems to be. I kind of hoped it was just me, and thus maybe easily fixed. On the plus side however, after some crashes and a data download, things seems have stabilzed here and even speeded up somewhat. So clearly some of my problem was specific to just me.

Is anybody out there interested in a discussion of what to do TC2005 and Excel, and the VBA nuts and bolts of how to do it?

I'd very much like to hear what other people do with TC2005/Excel, and to offer my two bits on the subject.

For example, I try to keep track of momentum currents by having Excel/VBA spin up %change tables in various time frames. Each time-frame is a two-colum pair consisting of symbol and %change. Each time-frame can be independently sorted. You can see how a stock or sector has done (%change), and you can see how these results stack up against others in the list -- (relative strength indicated by position in the list.) With alittle right-click functionality, you can apply color to the listings, and instantly see how an issue has held up across the various time-frames. You can also watch the cream float to the top.

This is something like the new Momentum Video, only the data is presented differently.

It's fun, and I'd be happy to go into details if anybody's interested.

But mostly I'd like to hear what other people are doing with Excel/TC2005.

If you would, give us a thumbnail sketch of your favorite VBA routines. We can figure out a way to post commented code, and maybe flesh out the skimpy Worden TCDK documentation. This would be a great help to me, and I'm sure other people too.

Do you know of other forums for TC2005/VBA besides this one? e.g. yahoo groups and such?

Thanks,
Chris Guida