Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

RSI crossing up through... Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
michaelfili
Posted : Monday, July 16, 2007 4:29:18 PM
Hi I need to program a pcf that will find stocks that have an unsmoothed 3-period RSI crossing up through the 20 line (as well as 10,15 etc...) Please show me how to alter the parameters so that I can do it for various periods as well as various points on the indicator so I don't waste your time!

Thanks so much,
Mike

As you may see I have been doing a lot of work with RSI and ADX seeing as how it is the base of one of my systems. I am asking multiple questions regarding a variety of my system components because I am still in the process of deciding how to best design the scan so i don't miss any nice opportunities by over optimizing. If you have any advice on the best way to tackle this dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated.
michaelfili
Posted : Monday, July 16, 2007 4:30:19 PM
I always forget something!

Also, show me how to write the inverse of the scan, lets say crossing down through 80 etc...

Thanks, you guys rock!
Mike
brexxx
Posted : Monday, July 16, 2007 9:20:59 PM
00 Days Ago -> RSI; Per-3; Smooth-1 = RSI3.1
01 Days Ago -> RSI; Per-3; Smooth-1 = RSI3.1.1
10 Days Ago -> RSI; Per-3; Smooth-1 = RSI3.1.10
04 Days Ago -> RSI; Per-2; Smooth-3 = RSI2.3.4

Here's the low-down on TC crossing up/down through logic:
In order for The RSI plotted line to cross above a value, 20 for instance, it needs to close below 20 one day and then above 20 the next day.

In English:
"Unsmoothed 3-period RSI is GREATER THAN 20 today." AND "Unsmoothed 3-period RSI is LESS THAN 20 yesterday." (and vice versa)

In PCF language:
RSI crossing up through 20:
RSI3.1 > 20 AND RSI3.1.1 < 20

RSI crossing down through 20:
RSI3.1 < 20 AND RSI3.1.1 > 20

I'm sure you know, but I'll mention it anyways. The intended overbought and oversold levels for RSI (per Wilder) are 70 and 30, respectively. 80 and 20 are most commonly used with stochastics. The only reason I mention this is to clear up any possible confusion in the future.
Hope this helps,
Kevin
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:30:43 AM

Worden Trainer

deltax2,
The Personal Criteria Formulas provided by brexxx should work fine in TeleChart. I've rolled this question into my answer to ADX line "hook" pcf if you are looking for a Strategy Condition.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
michaelfili
Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:27:33 PM
Thank you very much!

That is exactly what I needed.

-Michael