Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Help with block diagrams Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
maxhrush
Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2007 3:59:05 PM
Hi ---

After the Anaheim training I went to work on my first "from scratch" block diagram (among other things). It seems to work fine as long as I stay in the time frame (1 day) were it was created. The results get eratic when when I switch to multiple days or to week (or month). Looking through blocks in the Library I suspected that what I needed was some kind of a time frame picker. But, after some playing I think I could be on the wrong tack.

I attempted to attach a scren capture of my block diagram, but found no way to attach it --- so I will try a discription ----

Part 1
1 - Watch list symbol is seny to
2A - Hemscott P/E ratio, and
2B - Hemscott Earnings Growth Rate 5-Year
2A is input 1 of a Ratio block
2B is input 2 of that Ratio Block
Ratio output to numeric plot

Part 2 (As long as the ratio is 2 to 1 or less I am "comfortable" with the PE even if the PE is high by "raw" standards, so I set the plot line to print in Green for ratios of 2 to 1 or less. If the ratio gets over 2 to 1 I am uncomfortable with the PE no matter how low it is, so I set the plot line to print red. . . the following seemed to work...)

Ratio block (in addition to going to numeric plot) is also output to "Greater than Value" block with the number-value input set to 2.00

The "Greater than Value" outout (date & TrueFale) is "DateLine" input to "T/F Color" block that also has TrueColor input Red and FalseColor input Green

Finally, the "T/F Color" block Date&Color out inputs the Color "Circle"

As indicated in the introduction I am getting what I want AS LONG AS my time frame remains 1 day, But I lose the desired results if the time frame is changed.

Corrective or replacement suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance. Also thanks for the great live seminar.

maxhrush

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 1:52:03 PM

Worden Trainer

Please save the attached .pane file in the following folder:

\My Documents\Blocks Files\Tool Parts\Chart

You can add it to any chart using the ADD STUDY button and then selecting Add Study | My Computer.

How does this differ from what you already have? Can you provide some examples of where it is not behaving as desired with a description of what is wrong?

You may wish to review the following:

Customizing with Properties
Your First 3 Block Diagrams

Attachments:
maxhrush22825.pane - 5 KB, downloaded 830 time(s).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
maxhrush
Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 3:19:40 PM
Bruce ---

Thank you. Your .pane file and mine work the same. Yours has a much better scale

I feel real dumb. I was crating a problem where none existed. Once I realized that changing from a day chart to a week chart chaged the screen from providing a bit under 1 years data to over 4 years data the line looked different and the scale changes. . . zomm to cover the same time period as the day chart and the scale and line "reformated" to match the line and scale of the daily chart.

A good learning experience. It was quite instructive to see how our different block diagrams produced the same result.

Thanks again for the lesson.

maxhrush
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 3:23:43 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
maxhrush
Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:40:42 PM
Hi Bruce,

The pane you developed in this thread was a great help and I was able to move on to many other small variations I wanted in the many variables available to blocks. But, I remain challenged in working with charting colors except in the simplest of cases.

I have attempted without success to modify the pane you posted in this thread as follows:

Current pane color is very simple - plots as a red line above a value of 2.0 and plots green below.

I would like to make this change:

Continue to plot above 2.0 as red
between 1.0 and 2.0 plot as yellow
below 1.0

I get close with using First T/F and a Second T/F, but can't get exactlty what I am looking for.

Hints would be appreciated. Thanks as always/

maxhrush
Julia_O
Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:09:10 PM

Worden Trainer

Maxhrush,

Attached is the requested plot with conditional coloring modifications. The plot style is currently set to line, but feel free to change the style of the plot using the properties window of the block diagram.

Save the attached file to the following directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Blocks Files\Tool Parts\Chart

You should be able to add the study to your workspace and make any additional changes you would like to see.

Congratulations on your first custom block diagram!

Hope this helps!

Attachments:
maxhrush22825b.pane - 6 KB, downloaded 753 time(s).

maxhrush
Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:12:59 AM
Thanks Julia

That is just the fine tuning I was having trouble with.

It looks simply with your help, my mental model was making it too complicated.\

maxhrush
Julia_O
Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:27:33 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome!