Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Chaikin Money Flow Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
achandrasekaran99
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2005 11:45:30 AM
Hi,
I like CMF indicator (in addition to others), but TC does not have this. Is there any other Indicator in TC that has some resemblance to CMF? Currently I check this in Internet from other sources.
Thanks.
chandra
Doug_H
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2005 12:10:17 PM

Worden Trainer

This is what I found on the CMF indicator on the internet:

(((close - low) - (high - close)) / (high - low)) * volume

Then sum the above values over the lookback period. Divide this result by the sum of the volume over the lookback period.

Try the following formula to see if it approximates what you want for a standard 21 day lookback period:

(((AVGC21-AVGL21)-AVGH21-AVGC21)) / (AVGH21-AVGL21)) * AVGV21

- Doug
Teaching Online!
achandrasekaran99
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2005 5:25:03 PM
Hi Doug,
Thank you for the equation. It seems to be showing approximately similar curve. But the scale is totally different. Normally the scale is between +1 to -1, but here it goes in thousands because of multiplying by volume at the end. Its scale does not give any idea about the current value, due to changes in average volume between stocks. May be I will put this in suggestion box.
Thanks.
chandra
Doug_H
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2005 5:31:50 PM

Worden Trainer

The original info I found on the web said something about dividing by the SUM of the volume numbers for the period. That would have meant adding 21 days of volume, and then dividing by that number. That didn't seem right, but it certainly would have made the scale have smaller numbers.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Tanstaafl
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2005 11:19:42 AM
If the following description is what you want:

Then sum the above values over the lookback period. Divide this result by the sum of the volume over the lookback period.

Then the solution cannot simply be averaged, since there is a division involved that invalidates the distributive property. Here's what you need:

can be simplified algebraically (and excess paren's stripped) to:
(2*close - low - high) / (high - low) * volume
in PCF-eze that is:
(2*C-L-H)/(H-L)*V

The summation over 21 days, with normalization by the sum of the volume, should yield the regularized range you are seeking. The full PCF would be:

(
(2*C-L-H)/(H-L)*V +
(2*C1-L1-H1)/(H1-L1)*V1 +
(2*C19-L19-H19)/(H19-L19)*V19 +
(2*C20-L20-H20)/(H20-L20)*V20
) / (AvgV21 * 21)

Note that the AvgV21 * 21 term is a shorthand way of adding up the 21 individual V's for the period. Just fill in the other 17 terms in the middle, and you will be good to go.

Jim Dean

Tanstaafl
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2005 11:39:32 AM
P.S. I double-checked the formula in AtoZ ... it is a correct implementation of Chaikin's Money Flow.

achandrasekaran99
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2005 12:28:21 PM
QUOTE (Tanstaafl)
P.S. I double-checked the formula in AtoZ ... it is a correct implementation of Chaikin's Money Flow.

Thank you Jim. That seems to make sense (it also matches with what Doug wrote about sum of volume in the bottom). I will try it. Additional thanks for showing exact PCF terms also!
chandra