Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Indicator settings Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
lsaloga
Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:18:11 PM

What are the suggested indicator settings for short-term or swing traders?

Such as stochastics, MACD, RSI, OBV, TSV, envelope channels, ROC, relative strength, moving averages.
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:24:09 PM

Worden Trainer

Isaloga:

This goes beyond the scope of what the trainers can answer here in the Ask a Trainer forum. We don't suggest particular settings, because it is highly subjective and very personalized.

Just remember that with most any indicator, the lower the settings, the more frequent signals you'll tend to get. You may want to consider that fact if you're day trading.

What I will do is to move this post to the Stock and Market Talk where other investors will see it, and perhaps they'll throw in their two cents and give you some more concrete ideas.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
BigBlock
Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2005 4:05:46 PM
QUOTE (lsaloga)

What are the suggested indicator settings for short-term or swing traders?

Such as stochastics, MACD, RSI, OBV, TSV, envelope channels, ROC, relative strength, moving averages.

ISA this is alot of ground to cover on a bullentin board. I can suggest that you read what a consider a good informative book on Swing trading. Here it is " The Master Swing Trader " by Alan S. Farley (ISBN - 0-07-136309-2. This should give you a very good idea about settings and tools to use if you are interested in swing trading. There many other good books, but this one I consider to be very complete.
Good luck.
ICanSee4Miles
Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2005 9:51:52 PM
I personally have worked from the angle of what am I trying to do, ie short, intermediate or long term. For short time frame, I roll back time on the chart and look at where I would have wanted buy signals and note them then install TSV over the price and starting at 9 tweak it until I get it to "call" 75% of my previous buy signals. Now your actual signal could be crossing up through the zero line or crossing it MA that is up to you. Then when I get it where I want it I move it to its own window. Sounds like a lot of work and it sure would be easier if backtesting was part of TC, but when you get it to "call 75% of your buy signals and then combine it with a positively divergent MS and is transitioning from a negative or nuetral BOP it is a great combination. I have not worked with MACD much so I will not comment on it. The trick is to go through your chart without any indicators, and with the particular mindset of short, medium or long timeframes and make a decision purely on price points THEN adjust TSV to go along with those. Hope that helps.
chicosacat
Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2005 3:25:28 PM
Anybody please respond to this. Say I am a day trader with $10,000 and want to try to make 1%-2%day return. What daily scans would you use to try accomplish this? Its understood that nothings a gimme. Looking for good percentages if available.

Thanks in advance. Chico
BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2005 10:11:14 PM
QUOTE (chicosacat)
Anybody please respond to this. Say I am a day trader with $10,000 and want to try to make 1%-2%day return. What daily scans would you use to try accomplish this? Its understood that nothings a gimme. Looking for good percentages if available.

Thanks in advance. Chico

Chico you cannot daytrade with less than $25000, to be specific you always have to maintein a balance of $25000 in your account at any given time or regulation T call will drop on you like lead, not to mention your broker.