Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Testing a Linear Regression Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kiss35
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 11:42:33 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

How do I test price against the upper, middle and lower boundries of a Linear Regression?
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 11:46:54 AM

Worden Trainer

I assume you are talking about a linear regression channel. If so you might enjoy this video:

Sort using envelopes, regression channels and Bollinger bandsScans

If this is not what you were thinking, let me know.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kiss35
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 2:37:11 PM

That was ok, but I was looking to write a PCF to do the work. Is this doable?
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 2:45:31 PM

Worden Trainer

I will check with the other trainers but I believe if it is doable, the PCF itself would be so unruly that it would grind your machine to a halt.

The beauty of the Visual Sorting is the speed and ease. It also lets you really look for "tests of X" without having to define it mathmatically. You can press your spacebar until the charts don't look like a "test" anymore.

You can also switch time frames (2-day, weekly, hourly, etc.) and quickly re-sort. A PCF will only be for a specific time frame. If you change your LR settings (the period, the width) you don't have to write another formula... just re-sort again.

Don't give up on the method I showed you just yet. It is far more flexible than a PCF can ever be.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 2:48:01 PM

Worden Trainer

One of the trainers here has been working on formulas for this. So far, he's had success with the center of th LR channel. He is still playing with the formulas for the channel lines. If and when he comes up with the solution, I suspect he'll post it under a new topic in the PCF's forum.

I'd suggest that you keep checking back. Do a search on Linear Regression, and you'll be able to keep up to speed on anything related to that topic here in the forums.

I will tell you, though, that Craig's suggestion of sorting by the LR channels is by far the easiest way to find stocks closing at the top channel, at the bottom channel, at the LR line itself, or that have broken out above the top or bottom channels.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
kiss35
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 3:59:25 PM

Visual is nice, but I would to put an easyscan together with those test. IE, yesterday versous today.
Doug_H
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 4:13:55 PM

Worden Trainer

Well...like I said. Keep your eyes peeled.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2005 10:06:48 AM

Worden Trainer

I haven't given up, but I don't have a PCF for the upper and lower bands of a linear regression channel that matches the charts yet.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles