Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Bill Williams Gator Oscillator Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 2:54:48 PM
This message is for Bruce_L,

Hi Bruce,

I have been successful, using your example in Snapsheets, for Bill Williams Alligator... However, I cannot get the Alligator Oscillator working... I sent your support team a screen shot of my usage of the code blocks in snapsheets... Your support team suggested to send the information through this forum... How can I send you a screen shot of my two plots using the code blocks...

Thanks you,
Keith

Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:07:06 PM

Worden Trainer

I will track down the screenshot you sent and see what I can figure out. Can you copy and paste the code you used for the blocks here as well?

- Craig
Here to Help!
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:11:32 PM
Thanks...

I know I have one or more Code Blocks pointing to the wrong block... Bruce's example show a working solution...

Thanks again,
Keith
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:13:30 PM

Worden Trainer

Did you create the blocks he gave the code for here:

alligator

- Craig
Here to Help!
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:15:57 PM

Worden Trainer

The Worden Discussion Forums do not currently allow files to be uploaded to our server, so images need to be hosted elsewhere. The following topic contains more details on how to include images when posting to the forums:

Attn: usertm, re posting telechart charts....

That said, I'm looking at your email now. You need to run the Line Absolute Block in the first Block Diagram pictured in your email into the Multiply by Value Block. The output of the Multiply by Value Block goes into both the Rate of Change Block where it is currently going and the Numeric Plot Block. I've updated the image in the original topic to make this easier to see:

alligator

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:17:11 PM
Yes, I thought I created all the blocks correctly... A couple of the blocks were very close together and I may have connected or better yet not connected to a block... That is why I was hoping you could see the Screen shot of what I did connect...

Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:53:23 PM
Hi Bruce,

Ok, I made the two changes... However, the information is not displaying in the Pane...

I even removed the Numeric Plot connection to see if the changes would be made... However now I am only get the first code block of information...

Sorry for the confusion...
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 4:00:43 PM
Hi,

I am a little dense... I needed to refresh the data stream to see the changes... I think the Oscillator is working... I will compare the output to Bill Williams "Investor's Dream" application...

Thanks,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 4:03:41 PM

Worden Trainer

Please do. I created the oscillator by looking at an online version and adjusting it until it seemed to match. It will be nice to see how it compares to another source (especially if that source is a program from Bill Williams).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 4:17:38 PM
Hi Bruce,

Unfortunity, the Oscillator you have created is off from what Bill Williams application does... Hard to explain... Some solid colors do not match and the changes from green to red are not changing the same in all cases... However, your Oscillator is not off by a lot... If you can suggest how I can take a snap shot in Snapsheets and Investor's Dream... Then email the information to you... I really do not want to post anything from Investor's Dream... That might be an infringement in their rights...

Please let me kown your thoughts...

Thanks,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 4:21:31 PM

Worden Trainer

Please go ahead and send an email to support@worden.com like you did before and I'll take a look at the color differences.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 4:27:06 PM
Ok,

When you are done evaluating... Could you please contact me...

Remember, since BW's Alligator lines streach out to future dates... You will need to truncate that information off... In SnapSheets the lines look like they only extend out 1 day beyond current date...

Thanks,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 4:43:29 PM

Worden Trainer

The truncation is TeleChart is due to the way I wrote the Shifted Line Plot Code Block. It would be possible to write a Code Block that shifted beyond the Input's endpoints, but it would be more complicated because the Block would have to make up dates or times to use when outputing past the endpoints.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 8:38:12 PM

Worden Trainer

I believe I've identified three differences so far. The SnapSheet uses Closing Prices while Investor's Dream appears to use Median Prices. The SnapSheet requires the upper portion of the oscillator to be green before the bottom portion can be green while Investor's Dream appears to allow the upper and lower portions to change colors independently. The SnapSheet bases the bottom portion of the oscillator on Teeth and Lips while Investor's Dream appears to use the Jaw and Lips.

The SnapSheet seems to match the original online source, but I'm going to adjust the instructions to match the Investor's Dream implementation since it is created by Bill Williams. I'm going to keep looking for additional differences tonight, but should be able to post changes tomorrow morning.

Since you requested it, I'll include instructions for creating his Awesome Oscillator and Accelerator/Decelerator Oscillator as well. They are both fairly simple by comparison.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:44:29 PM
Bruce,

Please let me know of all the changes you are doing and let me know of the new information you have...

thanks....
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 10:46:38 AM

Worden Trainer

The only other difference I found was the SnapSheet Bar Charts were Centered while the Investor's Dream Bar Charts are not. I've made some adjustments to the original post and to the Alligator Block Diagrams. I also added a post about creating AO and AC. Please take a look and let me know.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 11:42:54 AM
Hello Bruce,

I was just changing my Alligator chart by adding in the two code blocks "Divide by Value" & "Add Two DLS"... The "Add Two DLS" has two Inputs, Input1 & Input2 of Date & Number... I then went back to the "Select Code Block" and selected the "High and Low" blocks... These do not look anythig like the High and Low on your chart... Can you explain where I am going wrong... I expected to see the High and Low come automaticlly with the "Add Two DLS"...

Thanks,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 11:50:42 AM

Worden Trainer

The Blocks labeled High and Low are Convert: Bar to Number Blocks. Double-click them to change them from Last.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 1:15:08 PM
Hi Bruce,

I just finished inserting all the new Code Blocks...

I created the change in the:

Alligator on Price...
Alligator Oscillator
AO
AC

Unfortunately, None match up really well with Investor's Dream... I compared a chart with HPQ... Can I forward these two charts to you as I did yesterday...?

thanks,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 1:16:53 PM

Worden Trainer

Yes. Please do.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 1:38:50 PM
Hello Bruce,

I just sent you a Sceen Capture of Investor's Dream and SnapSheets...

As you will see, most of the Indicators are off and now the Alligator's mouth is not correct... Before the changes were made... The Alligator's mouth matched up with Investor's Dream...

Thanks,
Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 1:45:09 PM
Bruce,

I compared to different stocks...

Let me re-look at the two and see if they are off or not...

Sorry big time for the confusion...

Keith...
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 2:16:16 PM
Hi Bruce,

I went back over my AO & AC diagrams... I believe the diagrams are done exactly as you have them... I hope I am not missing something in the diagram... I can see that if the AO were flipped and the color was changed these two Indicators would then match up... Please let me know if I have reversed some of the input or maybe there is still an error in the diagram...

Thanks for all the help... Once this is correct, you will make a lot of people very happy...

Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 2:22:06 PM

Worden Trainer

Here's what I'm getting for HPQ - Hewlett-Packard Co. I don't see any differences. I've adjusted the aspect ratios, zooms and gridlines so they all are about the same as the Investor's Dream screenshot you sent. I also extended the Alligator lines to the right to make the comparison easier (the hack is too ugly to post and would break in normal use):

If its just the colors that are wrong on your charts, switch the colors going into the T/F Color Block. If AO or AC appears to be upside down, try reversing the Difference Block Inputs.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 2:37:40 PM
Hi Bruce,

This is really strange...
If you look at the SnapSheet I sent you of HPQ my Oscillator matches up exactly, minus the first 5 bars... Your Oscillator is different then Investor's Dream and mine...
Now for the AO and AC I agree there is some thing wrong on my end... Because mine is a Mirror image with flipped colors agains Investor's Dream... and Your AO and AC is not the same as Investor's Dream - So, I am not sure where to go from here... Do you know what I could have done wrong to reverse the image...?
I will send you my AC and AO screen image...

Thanks again... Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 2:50:43 PM
Sorry,

I sent you AAPL not HPQ... Dang... Too many things going on...

Let me review both again...
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 2:58:46 PM
Hi Bruce,

Well it helps if I compare the right two charts...

Both Yours and My Oscillator are the same... You just have the 5 pars in to the future...

Your AO and AC are Correct...

So, I sent you my AO code block... What do you see I did in error?

I will also sent you my AC code block... Something is wrong there too...

Thanks Bruce,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 3:03:42 PM

Worden Trainer

Try reversing the Difference Block Inputs. The Difference Block substracts one input from the other. Reversing the inputs should flip the indicator.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 3:22:37 PM
Hi Bruce...

Boy do I feel like a book called "SnapSheets for Dummies"...

I changed the input by changing the 5 to 34 and the 34 to 5...

This then worked which then made my "AC" come out correct... My output now looks like your output and all the SnapSheet indicators Match Investor's Dream...

The extended bars through me off at first... I just needed to count back 5 bars and start from there...

Can you tell me all the other changes you did to make SnapSheets look like Investor's Dream...

Could you tell me how to add Volume and the MFI indicators...

If you ever get the "Hacked" code for the future lines working like you want... Please send that my way too...

I would like to say: Bruce, You and your Support Team have been very very helpful and curtious to a new person to SnapSheets...

I thank you,
Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 3:46:26 PM
Bruce,

Just a few more questions now that the Indicators are correct:

- How did you get the correct numbers to appear correctly on the right side of the Indicators...?

- I have the correct Jaw, Teeth & Lip displayed in my charts heading... However, I would like to get rid of the Numbers that follow... How can I do that...? The Same goes for the AO,AC and the two Oscillators that created the Alligator...?

- Have you every put Fractals on price...?

- Anything else you did to the chart... Please let me know..

Thanks again,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 4:05:05 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
How did you get the correct numbers to appear correctly on the right side of the Indicators...?

I right-clicked on the Scale and changed the Scale Line Spacing from Auto to Manual and used Properties to adjust the Text Format Method and Value between grid lines. Leaving it on Auto is better for these indicators. This was done just to make sure everything was matching exactly.

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
I have the correct Jaw, Teeth & Lip displayed in my charts heading... However, I would like to get rid of the Numbers that follow... How can I do that...? The Same goes for the AO,AC and the two Oscillators that created the Alligator...?

Double-left click on the Parameter Blocks and change Show In Legend from True to False.

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
Have you every put Fractals on price...?

Not that I'm aware of.

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
Anything else you did to the chart... Please let me know..

I pretty much just added Volume and resized the Panes so they were the same shape. Volume pretty much creates itself:

Right-click on the Chart and select Create New | Plot in New Pane | Numeric.
Give it a name and select OK.
Left-click and drag on the Numeric Plot Block Input.
Select Data Feeds | Prices | Volume.
Left-click and drag on the Volume Block Input and select where to get the Symbol.
Change the Style to Bar.

You don't even need to do this much work. You could just add the Volume Study from the Web Library:

Select Add Study | Price Volume Indicators | Volume Bars.

But I wanted the comparison to be as close as possible.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 4:58:36 PM
Thanks Bruce,

I chose "Bar Chart Main Symbol" for symbol... Is this correct...?

Thank you for answering these questions Bruce... I made the changes...

Is there a Manual or CD that explains all the different Code Blocks and how they are used...

Thanks again,
Keith

P.S.
What about the MFI indicator...
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 5:25:00 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
I chose "Bar Chart Main Symbol" for symbol... Is this correct...?

I think you indicated you created your SnapSheet using Personal Chartist as a base. My SnapSheet was created from scratch before Personal Chartist was released. Examining my copy of Personal Chartist, it seems like "Bar Chart Main Symbol" would create the desired results, but I really can't say for sure since I haven't examined the properties for all of the components in your particular SnapSheet. Did it work? If so, it's correct.

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
Is there a Manual or CD that explains all the different Code Blocks and how they are used...

Documentation is far from complete, but the most detailed information available currently is in the SnapSheets Online Users Guide:

Select Help | Online Users Guide from the SnapSheet Menus.

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
What about the MFI indicator...

The MFI Indicator isn't currently available in the Web Library. I'm in the process of writing a version of MFI to post, but it's not done.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 5:42:51 PM
Thanks Bruce...

Could you let me know when you have the MFI indacator done...?

Thanks,
Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:30:22 PM
Hi Bruce,

For changing the Bars to represent Red and Green bars Red for down day and Green for up day on price... How do I add this type of logic to my window pain...

I would like to do the same for volume...

I also have noticed that sometimes I need to click multiple times to allow SnapSheets to display the charts... At times the AO, AC or even the Gator will only fill a half of the information... Somtimes the display will only show the bars greater then zero or less then zero... I click again on the symbol and then all the information is filled in... Any thoughts..?

Thanks,
Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:33:52 PM
Bruce,

I forgott to ask this question:

Is there any way to draw lines on a SnapSheet chart... What I would like to be able to do is draw Elliott Wave patterns on the chart...

Kind of like TC2007... or should I just use the capability of TC2007 and forget trying to replicate this in SnapSheets...

thanks,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:58:23 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
For changing the Bars to represent Red and Green bars Red for down day and Green for up day on price... How do I add this type of logic to my window pain... I would like to do the same for volume...

Try using the same group of Blocks you have already used in the Alligator Block Diagrams for this purpose:

Whatever goes into the Input with the question mark will determine the color. For example, if you are plotting Volume, but want the color to based on the change in Price, use Price as the Input. If you want it based on the change in Volume, use Volume as the Input.

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
Is there any way to draw lines on a SnapSheet chart... What I would like to be able to do is draw Elliott Wave patterns on the chart... Kind of like TC2007... or should I just use the capability of TC2007 and forget trying to replicate this in SnapSheets...

There aren't currently any Drawing Tools in SnapSheets, but I would expect them to be added at some point. In the meantime, use TeleChart 2007 for this.

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
I also have noticed that sometimes I need to click multiple times to allow SnapSheets to display the charts... At times the AO, AC or even the Gator will only fill a half of the information... Somtimes the display will only show the bars greater then zero or less then zero... I click again on the symbol and then all the information is filled in... Any thoughts..?

No idea. You may wish to contact Technical Support.

All e-mail communication sent to support@worden.com during business hours (Monday through Friday 9AM-11PM and Saturday and Sunday 9AM-3PM ET) should be answered within 20 minutes of arrival. For an even quicker response to tech support questions, we recommend calling our voice line at (919) 408-0542 (there is no phone support on Sundays, some Market Holidays or after 9PM ET on weekdays).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:06:23 PM
Thanks Bruce...

I wish I could buy you a Beer...

You have been Wonderful for Help...

Please pass this on to your Manager...

Thanks,
Keith
kpnicholson
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 7:36:53 PM
Hi Bruce,

I hate to be a pain...

I cannot get my volume to display correctly...

I will send you an email with my Code Block...

I got the price to display correctly the Volume just does not match up in the bars and the color...

I hope you can tell me where I went wrong...

Thanks,
Keith
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2006 8:10:01 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (kpnicholson)
I got the price to display correctly the Volume just does not match up in the bars and the color...

The Values of the Volume Bars seem to be correct. They match up perfectly with the Volume Bars in TeleChart except for the color which is based on the Net Change in Price.

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
Whatever goes into the Input with the question mark will determine the color. For example, if you are plotting Volume, but want the color to based on the change in Price, use Price as the Input. If you want it based on the change in Volume, use Volume as the Input.

Your Block Diagram has Bar Chart Volume going into the Rate of Change Block. On your chart, the Volume is green when it is greater than the previous day and red when it is not.

If you want the Volume to be green when Price is up and red when it is not, you need to take Price into the Rate of Change Block, not Volume.

You could also just add the Volume Study from the Web Library and use it as a base for any alterations you might wish to make:

Select Add Study | Price Volume Indicators | Volume Bars.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles