Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Intraday Volatility Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tonyofderby
Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 5:19:17 AM
I have posted the above discussion item and would appreciate any thoughts from any of the trainers.

Regards

Tony
Craig_S
Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 6:09:20 AM

Worden Trainer

You posted your item in the Suggestion forum. There it will be reviewed by the development team.

What thoughts are you looking for from us trainers?

- Craig
Here to Help!
tonyofderby
Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 10:41:04 AM
Hi Craig

Is there any way that the intraday volatility can be characterised using the existing features of TC2005? Is it possible to create a PCF, or are the data just not available intraday?

Many thanks

Tony
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2006 11:22:15 AM

Worden Trainer

How many days to you want to measure this over? ie: The average intraday volatility for the past 30 days, as an example.

You can also try plotting this as a custom indicator:

100*(H-L)/L

Here is a video on the Custom Indicator Feature:

Plotting Custom Indicators with Examples

- Craig
Here to Help!
tonyofderby
Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2006 11:49:53 AM
Hi Craig.

What you have given represents a measure of the range within a day, but it doesn't go far enough.

What I am trying to determine is a way of characterising how the share price moves during a day, between those high and low values. For example, does it (say) climb gradually and unfalteringly between the open and the close, or in an extreme case, does it oscillate between the high and the low many times during the day before it closes at the high? We have encountered shares that can do either, or even be less volatile intra-day but still be presented as (say) an identical daily candle without giving a clue as to what went on during the day.

I am trying to identify shares that are intrinsically volatile (or not) within the course of the day, not those that are volatile day-to-day.

I wonder if the data are available. If so, where are they and how can I manipulate them?

Regards

Tony
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2006 11:54:52 AM

Worden Trainer

The first obsticle is your service level. They only way we can play with intraday charts and data is if you were at the Platinum Service level...

I read your description and have a few questions:

1. How would you determine if a climb was gradual or extreme?

2. Would you want the indicator to count the number of times the stock approachedt he high and low during the day? If so, how would you decide if the price did, indeed, "approach it"?

One thing we could play with is this plotted on an intraday chart:

10-bar trend/consolidate

100*(MAXH10-MINL10)/(AVGH10-AVGL10)

- Craig
Here to Help!