Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

easyscan rerun daily? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
mully7
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 8:47:39 AM
I have created several easyscans; can you tell me if they rerun each time I do an update based on their original parameters ?

I'm still having some trouble with the difference between an easyscan and a watchlist, any advice or videos appreciated..

Thanks
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 8:53:48 AM

Worden Trainer

EasyScans generate WatchLists based on a set of conditions/criteria.

EasyScans can make a WatchList.

Here is a video to watch on EasyScans:

Using EasyScan to find stocks that meet your own criteria

It will always give you a list of stocks based on the last time you updated and calculated your criteria.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Doug_H
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 9:04:58 AM

Worden Trainer

When you download data, your scans don't automatically re-run themselves behind the scenes. However, whenever you select one of your scans as your active watchlist, the scan is automatically re-run then, thus it will always display the stocks that meet your scan conditions based on the latest downloaded data.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
mully7
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 9:41:21 AM
OK,
but when would one create a new watchlist instead of running an easyscan? Is it simply a matter of clicking new easyscan one time and new watchlist some other time just for the heck of it?

Do most users end up with a whole bunch of watchlists or easyscans or equal numbers of both?

Maybe the difference is so subtle that I am just not seeing it...

Craig_S
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 9:45:16 AM

Worden Trainer

Did you watch the video I linked above?

You only need to create a new EasyScan when you want to scan based on a new set of criteria. If you already have an EasyScan saved and you want to see the most recent results, you only need to change to the WatchList that it creates (and maintains). It will have the same name as the EasyScan.

If you want a Personal WatchList you should create a New WatchList and populate it with tickers.

Please take a few moments and watch the videos linked below. They will GREATLY increase the value you are getting from TeleChart as well as save you a ton of time.

If you are new to TeleChart READ THIS FIRST!

- Craig
Here to Help!
mully7
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 10:22:28 AM
those are all great videos, I watched them all multiple times trying to find the difference between an easyscan and a watchlist... btw, I don't have any easyscans and watchlists with the same name

are watchlists and easyscans essentially the same thing?

I see there is no edit button available for watchlists - does a clue lie here?
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 10:27:03 AM

Worden Trainer

No. WatchLists are a grouping of tickers. EasyScans are a grouping of criteria. EasyScans GENERATE a WatchList of the tickers that meet the criteria.

You are confused by the WatchList GENERATED by the EasyScan. The EasyScan is the collection of conditions, the WatchList is the collection/list of tickers.

If you are looking at a WatchList GENERATED by an EasyScan, you will see the EDIT button. It will allow you to EDIT the EasyScan that is GENERATING in the WatchList.

Does that help?

- Craig
Here to Help!
Doug_H
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 10:27:46 AM

Worden Trainer

EasyScans are special watchlists that are created on the fly for you, based on conditions you specify. You cannot directly add or remove tickers from an EasyScan watchlist, like you could with a Personal watchlist. The tickers are in an EasyScan watchlist solely because they currently meet the conditions you built into your scan.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
mully7
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 10:55:03 AM
thanks guys,
I'm going to go over this closely over the weekend 'til I got it squared.

Probably the semantics confused me when:

"WatchList is a group of tickers"
"EasyScan is a set of criteria that generate a WatchList"

also I need to wrap my head around:
A new Personal WatchList can be created from an existing EasyScan
A new EasyScan can be created from an existing personal WatchList

Craig_S
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 11:01:32 AM

Worden Trainer

An EasyScan creates ONE WatchList of tickers that meet the conditions in the EasyScan.

An EasyScan CANNOT create a PERSONAL WatchList. Only YOU can create a PERSONAL WatchList by clicking on the NEW button.

A new EasyScan CANNOT create an existing PERSONAL WatchList.

An EasyScan populates one WatchList with the tickers that meet the conditions in the EasyScan.

- Craig
Here to Help!
StockGuy
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 11:28:48 AM

Administration

A WatchList is simply a list of symbols. It can be created several different ways:

Personal - you create the list and add symbols manually or copy them from another list.

Canned - System, Component and Industry Group lists which are maintained by our servers. You cannot edit these lists, but you can copy symbols from these lists to other lists.

EasyScan results - lists are created based on the parameters of the scan. When you select an EasyScan, the list you see is all of the stocks that pass the scan conditions at that time. If you update your data or make a change to the scan parameters, the list will change.
Doug_H
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 11:46:20 AM

Worden Trainer

OK...lots of replies here. Let me encourage you to watch this short video. It explains the different type of watchlists available in TeleChart, and if you're still confused at all, this should clear things up for you:

Explanation of the different types of WatchList available in TeleChart

- Doug
Teaching Online!
mully7
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 11:56:54 AM
OK:
I thought of one reason I might want to create a WatchList from an existing EasyScan list: If I have an EasyScan today, and I don't want those results to be altered when the EasyScan is rerun after an update ( say I want to monitor those entries for several more days) I could create a Personal WatchList of that EasyScan. (select new Watchlist- "start with components of the active Watchlist") That Personal WatchList would remain unaltered while the EasyScan results might be changing after each update.
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 12:06:37 PM

Worden Trainer

That is a great reason to create a Personal WatchList from the stocks in an EasyScan WatchList.

- Craig
Here to Help!
mully7
Posted : Friday, January 20, 2006 12:46:47 PM
Thanks to all,

I was getting lost on the difference between WatchList and watchlist or list as in ...

"Personal WatchList" (W & L in CAPS)
"EasyScan" watchlist or list.

sometimes it's the smallest things....