Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

How do I write a PCF which divides C1 for GDX by C1 for GLD? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Bludog
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:33:32 AM

Bruce, I am looking to create a pcf that I can utilize to give me a value for the above so I can use it daily to examine various precious metal mining stocks. I have no idea how one can do this and any assistance is always greatly appreciated.

/* Phil */

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:25:51 PM

Worden Trainer

I do not know of a practical automated method of writing Relative Strength PCFs in either version of TC2000 as the Personal Criteria Formula Language does not have syntax for referencing other symbols. You may wish to review the following for a semi-automated technique for creating Relative Strength in a PCF:

Indexes in PCF's
RSMA PCFs

It would be possible to plot the ratio of GDX to GLD o the chart in TC2000 version 12.4 however.

- Select Add Plot to Chart.
- Start typing the symbol or name of a symbol use wish to use as the main symbol in RS (GDX).
- Select it from the list when it gets close enough to the top of the list to see it.
- Select Add Plot to Chart.
- Add the Relative Strength indicator to the chart.
- Click on the Relative Strength Indicator and select Edit.
- Set the Symbol of the Relative Strength to the RS symbol (the denominator in the ratio - GLD).
- Set the Data Source to the price plot for the symbol we added earlier (the numerator in the ratio).

You may optionally click on the Move icon (it looks like an arrow pointing up and down) in either the price plot for the symbol we used as the numerator or the Relative Strength indicator and select Overlay (but not & Scale With) to move these two indicators into the same pane. If you do so, you would probably want to click on the price plot for the symbol and select Edit to drag the Opacity slider all the way to the left so it is not visible.

You would repeat the above process for each of the symbol pairs you wish to create. The following two videos explore how to add and move indicators and change the data source of an indicator. The only things we do in the above process is edit indicator settings or the things covered by the videos.

Adding and Moving Indicators
Change Data Source

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Bludog
Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:41:19 PM

Thanks Bruce,

That works fine for me as the last price is on the Rel strgth give me what I was looking for and I just save that plot as one of my many that I reference.

/* Phil */

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 2:42:45 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles