Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

What is YOUR plan? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tobydad
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:40:36 AM

I thought this morning about many of the comments I've seen from many of you over the recent months. Many are talking about getting creamed and crushed and destroyed. I just wanted to share this thought from a book I'm writing. The book is composed of thoughts on leadership (one of the qualities most missing today in my estimation). In the book, I discuss the transcendent qualities of leaders, how leaders handle change, how leaders respond to crisis and how leaders recover from failure. Each of the chapters begin with an acrostic based on LEADERSHIP. 

I thought about many of you when reviewing the section on how leaders respond to crisis and I thought about the acrostic. It goes like this:
Leaders:
remain Loyal to their vision,
remain Enthusiastic about their vision,
            Assess the 
            Damages and make necessary adjustments,
            Effectively 
            Reduce the 
            Stress of 
            Hardship by
            Implementing a 
            Plan

I'm not selling the book here. Just thought I would share these concepts that have been so valuable to me. 

And, yes, it's already copyrighted...besides, I trust you all.
driger
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:36:31 PM

i think at the core of it all, you a need passion for what your are doing. and, good capital management , so you remain in the game long enough to find the winning strategy, and eventually succeed.
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 5:17:03 PM

Tobydad, as my girl and I are packing for our annual trip north I decided to take a break and see what goodies were on the forum today. I love that you have brought this topic to light. One of the qualities that most great traders share. 

I have read many a composition and have had dialog with those that know their stuff and the common thread is that they posses that quality of which you speak. The plan; yes one is needed and just like writing down your goals (like you have suggested many times) the plan must be developed and adhered to. Just as leaders must inspire others to follow the plan one must find the leader in themselves to do just that.

Is your book about trading, politics or based in an alternate genre? I too am working on a couple of books. "Trading" and a more light hearted concept "Trading forums". Let us know when your book might be available... I will still stop in from time to time to say hi. Keep up the good work. You seem to be demonstrating some solid leadership skills in the way you are teaching some of the newer traders...

Apsll.

tobydad
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:48:43 PM

The first version of the book was originally focused on youth sports but I am thinking of changing the focus to leadership generally and its various applications to business, family, and any other contexts the reader might deem appropriate.
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:06:30 PM

I am glad that you responded before I leave in the morning. I remember you mentioning a while back that you were involved with youth football (my favorite sport).

You are dead on with your analogies to trading and how leaders respond to adversity. In order to be a success at most things one must first have a passion and stay loyal and dedicated. No quitting... If you quit because of a few bumps in the road then you’re not a leader and your passion was false. You regroup and asses the situation finding new ways to come back stronger.  "What one man can do another man can do" one of my favorite lines from the movie "The Edge".  It is a given that some are a success in the markets. Why not you.

See you in a couple of weeks TB... Take care

tobydad
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:48:28 PM

Good travels. Go with God.
ben2k9
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:58:47 PM

QUOTE (Apsll)

"What one man can do another man can do" one of my favorite lines from the movie "The Edge". 

That's one of my favorite lines too!  I think about it all the time.  Great movie, too.
realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:10:39 PM
I too found that to be great movie ....

Baldwin kept saying ... "never feel sorry for a man that owns an airplane ..."

I know many men who own airplanes ... and I feel sorry for more than a few of them ...

I guess it's the difference between having money ... and being wealthy ...

Too many with plenty of money ... are bankrupt in so many other areas ...

And the happiest, most loving families that I have ever encountered ... had little else besides one another ...

Perhaps ... therein lies the key ...

yinzer
Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 12:47:27 AM

I was listening to NPR months ago and heard a delightful story. It (while possibly being fiction) was told by a daughter who was recanting a phone conversation with her elderly parents.  She asked them for some advise on their longevity.  Her Mom said, “Never make a left hand turn”. “No left hand turns?”, she said. “But what happens when you need to turn left?”. “Oh, we make three right hand turns”, said the Mom. “That’s funny. But you’re getting a bit forgetful Mom. What if you forget to go straight when you need to Mom?”. “Oh” said the Dad. “Then we just call it a day and go home”.

Tobydad I always enjoy your advice, if I didn’t I wouldn’t be making this post. But I’m curious to why you are equating leadership to being a good trader. I think that often times what makes one a leader can kill them in this market. Sometimes you just need to go home and sit.

Take care,

Yinzer

Ps. Happy travels Apsll
tobydad
Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 1:50:25 AM

My primary focus was not really on leadership (at least for the context of this post); it was more on the fact of having a plan. The latter half of the acrostic is to Effectively Reduce the Stress of Hardship by Implementing a Plan. 

I attended a leadership conference last year. One of the guest speakers was Peyton Manning. When asked about the pressure one must experience when there are 2 minutes remaining in a big game and the team needs to score. They asked him if that was not unbearable pressure. He responded that there really was no pressure when one is properly prepared for the situation.

Sometimes the plan might be to sit it out, that's fine. But my point above all else is that to be truly effective in the markets one must have a plan of action. But it is especially true in the markets that we have experienced over the last year or so. (And I suspect more is coming.)

diceman
Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 10:52:12 AM
"I attended a leadership conference last year. One of the guest speakers was Peyton Manning. When asked about the pressure one must experience when there are 2 minutes remaining in a big game and the team needs to score. They asked him if that was not unbearable pressure. He responded that there really was no pressure when one is properly prepared for the situation."
----------------------------------------------------------------

Its interesting someone would focus on 2 minutes.

The whole idea is to generate a consistency of
results so that the 2 minutes doesn't matter.
Ultimately it is only a single loss.

The trader analogy would be not getting hung up
on a single trade. Its about your overall results.

Thanks
diceman