Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Stocks Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tbartel
Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:59:59 PM
Everyone please------- Stocks you are watching, waiting to buy --------so I can start looking at the trends that you pros are watching and I can be learning what to look for while I'm paper trading.

Thanks in Advance

Advice need on how to set my settings on telechart so I know when to BUY and when To SELL.

tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:19:02 PM

We're all watching something different. Please read post on your LVLT thread.
jcfla7
Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:06:25 PM
cowgirl,

My experience is pretty limited so I can't claim great insight on trading. But you may want to take a step back and define your style of trading first. Decide whether you want to day trade, swing trade, position trade. Once you get a sense of your risk tolerances and investment goals, you can start to ID stocks or trades that better fit those goals.

If you just look at stocks that others are talking about, you will be following their investment goals and not your own. If you want to learn more about trading in general to help learn more and understand - spend some time at investopedia, which is a great resource for basics on a range of investment and trading approaches. I understand the urge to get in there and paper trade or trade for real from day one, but think of it like a sport or better yet a job, takes some time to learn and develop skills.

If I have learned anything about trading, its that there are so many different approaches and techniques, you can get lost unless you first determine an approach that makes sense for your personal situation.

Thanks.
zaq999ca
Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:49:24 PM
Cowgirl :-
Information that you asked for is already made available on this forum on a daily basis. Multiple forum members do post new ones or follow up thru existing posts, that they or others had made in the past.

You just have to go thru each post and make some notes regarding each trade:

1. Buy @
2. Sell Target
3. Stop Loss
4. Indicators
5. Reasons to Buy/Sell
6. End Result :- Profit / Loss
7. Conclusion
8. Planetary Alignment...
9. ...

Since, Each Investors Trading Style, Trading Period and other factors can be quite different, It is better to maintain these list by POSTees (Is that a word!!!)

Not all the information, you might want to know, will be made available in these postings. After comparing the charts and doing your own research, If you do ask them the questions, majority will be more than glad to respond as you already have witnessed.

To be successful, We need to learn all the 101 rules...

Basic Rules, say
Entry, Exit, Risk-Reward Ratio, Stop-Loss, Money Management, Risk Management, Simple Strategies...
can be readily learnt by reading the books. Books cover only the first few rules. The rest, I guess Pros will be able to throw us some light...

Just as a word of caution, think twice before jumping into one of the trades based on the postings here. Since, for any given trade, not all information is given , It will be hard for the beginner to react if the trade heads south.

Good luck. Hope this helps...
jpendley
Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:49:25 PM
Hi Cowgirl,

I agree with the other writers above, very difficult to point out "the ONE" trading method, because if everyone used the same method, then it wouldn't work. I am trying to explain some of this to my 23 yr old son. I think I will be very happy if he can catch onto moving averages, and Bollinger bands, and how to read some reports. Then I will try other indicators.
Upon reading what zag999ca posted above, I think it is a great idea just to see how people approach the buy/sell decisons. I have worse problems deciding when to sell than when to buy. I alleviate this by setting rather tight stops and if I am stopped out, try to move on. I am hesitant to post possibles as I think are many others, that if worse case happens perhaps everyone thinks you are a real nurb. and an idiot. I really would like to see other's "possibles" and the reasons, even if it has to do with their horoscope of the day. So I will stick myself out to try and encourage motley effects.

Today,
(1)I bought CYBS at 11.75, closed @ 12.04
(2) sell target 12.85+ or until major indicators turn downward.
(3) kept upping Stop loss, set stop loss at 11.87
(4) Indicators: Yesterday had bullish engulfing candles
( about the only TC stock that did )
(5) This stock has been in narrow upward trend for a while, and earning report is tomorrow. My hopes are for a good report and a jump upward. The candle pattern was confirmed today and to me that is encouraging. If it is a
bad report, Stop will get me out almost even, so easy decision for me. Other indicators seem to project upward to the sell target if it is not a bad report. PE is high at 58, but at least it has one. If bad news leaks by tomorrow, I will be stopped out. If good news is leaked, it will open higher. no leaks....I will wait.......

(6,7,8) will come soon, but anyone can see the results on the chart in a few days :)

jpendley
Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:13:22 PM
Well, In the morning I decided to change my stop loss to 11.80 as the volatility was higher than I expected, so I still own the stock as it closed at 12.00 with a couple of cents below in afterhours. I listened to the year end conference call and read the EDGAR SEC filing, and was very happy with the results, many items above projection. But now with the report out, I reset the stop loss to 11.90 and will wait and see what happens tomorrow.I
am going to review the info tonight and if I have concerns will just leave the SL where it is. If I feel good about maybe holding it for a longer period, I will reset the SL a little farther down. They also announced a stock buyback.
jpendley
Posted : Friday, January 26, 2007 1:15:14 PM
To conclude the story:

Today CYBS is up ( about 40 cents as I write). I had the choice of letting it ride, hoping that it would continue, or sell and wait for a while and let the stock work out the wrinkles. It could go much higher, or it could quickly return back to as before. I learned long ago in the "Tech bubble" that greed kills, so I sold with about .55/share profit. To me this was a very low risk deal, based on indicators AND also fundamental data. Always research any stock you want to buy. The .55 is very good for me for 2 days of low risk. End of story. Good luck Cowgirl. Jim.