Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: ellarr
About
User Name: ellarr
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Understanding MACD
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:24:32 PM
I'm not sure but I may be double-posting. My response didn't show up.

I see now why they don't match. Even though both indicators are on the same pane, they do not have the same scale. There is a lightly colored small square on the lower right corner of the pane that will show the other indicator's scale when clicked.

Is there any way to fix both indicators to the same scale?
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:21:26 PM
I see what is going on based on your initial comments. The two indicators are using different scaling. I am somewhat new to TC and didn't realize this. The lower right corner of the middle pane has a light colored square that you can click to change the scaling labels to the other indicator.

Do you know if there is a way to set all the indicators to a single scale?
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:09:37 PM
When I use Plot Using Price Scale, the formula line disappears.

At first I thought your statement was correct and that the MACD line covered the formula line. However, when I edit the MACD and uncheck the visible option, I don't see the formula line.
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:01:50 PM
Craig,

I think that I might be missing something with regards to the histogram formula. In your original post you stated the following for a 20,40,30 exponential.

MACD Today
(XAVGC20-XAVGC40)

MACD Histogram Today
(XAVGC20-XAVGC40)-(XAVG(XAVGC30,20)-XAVG(XAVGC40,30))

My understanding from your video is that the histogram is plotted by subtracting the MACD period moving average from the MACD. If my understanding is correct, the following formula represents the 30 day moving average of the MACD

XAVG(XAVGC30,20)-XAVG(XAVGC40,30)

When I plot the above formula it does not match up with the period plot from the MACD

1) Add a MACD 20,40,30 (Exponential - NOT plotted as histogram) to the middle pane
2) Add a custom formula 'XAVG(XAVGC30,20)-XAVG(XAVGC40,30)' (Center Zero Line) to the middle pane

The custom formula does not seem to match up with the period line from the MACD. As a second test, I performed the following steps

1) Add a MACD 20,40,30 (Exponential - Plotted as histogram) to the bottom pane
2) Add a custom formula '(XAVGC20-XAVGC40)-(XAVG(XAVGC30,20)-XAVG(XAVGC40,30))' (Center Zero Line) to the bottom pane

On this second test, the results appeared to be correct or at least within rounding error when I used IBM. However, when I jumped to SAPE, there was a marked difference between the MACD histogram and the formula.