Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

When will SF5 exit Beta? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Kermitp
Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 12:04:30 PM
Any idea when we can SF5 to exit beta and become the SF? 

As long as it is in beta I am relucatant to rely on it for real trading. This is just me but I suspect others feel the same way. 

Kermitp 
MauiTrader
Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:41:09 AM

I'm in the same camp waiting for SF, version 5.o.
I have said it before that a 6 month beta is too long.  Code should be far more stable than to need a six month beta.

Mauitrader

haschade
Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:23:50 AM
As a former software developer, I'll chime in with an opposing point of view.

There is no formula for a length of a beta cycle.  I'm sure Worden wants to get the product out as fast as possible but the desire has to be tempered with (I'd hope!) rigorous quality objectives (stablility, non-regressions, defect close rates, etc) as well as completeness of the "whole product" -- not just code and features but documentation, training, support-readiness, marketing, etc.

I've been using the Beta for "real trading" since nearly day 1 (though not exclusively).  Other than it crapping out unexpectedly and requiring a restart from time to time, I haven't had any errant trades that I can blame on the beta.  I'm very excited about the features but I'm concerned about the stability, even in Build 11. 

So, IMHO, it's not ready.

My .02....
Kuf
Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:21:07 AM

Administration

haschade, if you're having stability problems will you please make a post in the bug forum describing what was on your screen and what you were doing when it locked up?

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
Chief Software Engineer - Worden Brothers Inc.
Try/Catch - My RealCode Blog
Kuf
Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:23:19 AM

Administration

As for the length of our beta, we wanted to get customer feedback early in the process, as opposed to late. I think it helped immensley this time around because we were making assumptions about how customers used the software that were incorrect.   I suppose you could say that we were in late alpha when we started around thanksgiving. 

Anyhow we're almost there.  Internally we're finishing up documentation and training and making sure all the supporting pieces are ready to go. 

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
Chief Software Engineer - Worden Brothers Inc.
Try/Catch - My RealCode Blog
progster
Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:25:49 PM
Could you please fix the Export issues for the official release?
jas0501
Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:41:20 PM
I agree 6 months seems like a long time, however if you compare the product now to the start version,  magnificant progress has been made. Any software product with so broad a range of capabilities is a difficult thing to fully debug.

I'd love to see the beta conclude, and work start on the backscanner, however I think there are still some critical bugs yet to be squashed. Close though.